OT: passenger tire sidewall punture - repair/why not?

Go ahead and repair your sidewalls. Just don't drive on my highways near me, OK? I value my life more than that. Cord damage & failure leading to ply separation and wall shredding happen far too often in sidewall punctures to suit me. I'd rather not have that happen to me while I'm traveling 75mph down the highway, thanks.

I have Wally World tires (made by B.F. Goodrich, same mfgr. as the truck was delivered with from Ford) which are only about $45 ea. That includes a 40k mile tire, installation, valve stem, mounting, balancing, and a road hazard warranty.

Even if they cost $200 each, my life (and the life of each of my passengers) is worth more than that. Why risk it with a patch? I might patch a spare, but I'd replace it with a decent tire at my earliest convenience. YMMV.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used to throw tires away once they got twelve plugs, no matter how much tread was left, of course that is one of the hazards of working on a large civil project with lots of buildings being demolished. At this point, management made a deal with a used tire seller - ten bucks per tire mounted and balanced. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

How about some real experience with patching side wall punctures.

For grins my brother and I relieve our aggressions driving a "bomber" race car at a local dirt track. Cheap racing is the operative word as the car can be "claimed" for $250. We got all sorts of tires from local tire stores once we told them what we were up to and that the tires wouldn't return to their tire pile. (Saves them $$$$$ here in AZ.)

You would not believe the tread available on matched sets of tires that just needed a patch or two and were tossed in the scrap tire pile. We did patch 4 or 5 tires that had sidewall punctures with inside flat patches using a air grinder with a scotchbright pad to clean the area for the patch. ALL sidewall patches blew out, especially if we used them on the front tires. (Lots of sideload due to "plowing" in the corners.) None of the normal tread area patches blew out. (and we did "dismount" a few when the front end hooked up a bit too much in the corner and tore the tire off the rim.)

My 2 cents, trash can any tire that needs a sidewall patch. We have lots of runoff room at the track, don't care about damaging the car or having to arrange a tow, don't have a dime invested in the tires and it still isn't worth our time to go back to the pits and change out another tire, let alone betting your life doing 75mph on the freeway with a car full of kids.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Gerald Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Sunday I collected a 1/4 bolt in the right rear of my Patrol, plugged it as it still has 15k left to TWI, Monday collected another

1/4 bolt in the left rear of my tandem car trailer, not worth fixing, just have to get another used spare, usually $20 with 40% wear left.

Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200