OT Sorta - Cheapest way to send small parts?

I need to ship a variety of small lathe parts to several places. These are single change gears and smaller items. What "one-price products" are out there today to make this quick, easy, and cheap (pick any 2)?

Rex Burkheimer

Reply to
Rex B

I would use USPS and padded envelopes.

Ignoramus12588

usps has a flat box, maybe 2x8x12, that they will send priority mail anywhere in the country for $7. no limits on the weight, it's whatever you can fit in the box.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

for small lathe gears, he can use a priority mail envelopes, no need for a padded box. $3.75 per envelope regardless of weight.

I am selling a lot of various bearings (roller and sleeve) on ebay right now, and it is nice to be able to fit a few pounds of stuff into an envelope. :)

I have some bearings that weigh about 20 lbs...

Ignoramus12588

Ditto....

Reply to
Rick

That's exactly what I need - 3 options that cover everything I've got working.

Thanks guys!

Rex

Ignoramus12588 wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Charles I'm shipping from Texas to Alaska right now. Will that box cover that or is it just the lower 48?

Charles Spitzer wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

hey Iggy What's your seller name, I need a couple of ND 88505 bearings, which cross to a 6205 sealed or shielded ok. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Whatever you do, DO NOT ship into Canada by UPS. They SCREW the recipient for a minimum of $35 service charge even on manufacturers samples. OTOH, small items shipped USPS are normally delivered with the regular mail with no additional costs. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

For single change gears and smaller items, I'd use a sample envelope. This is a manila coin envelope about large enough for a dollar bill _sewed_ to a small muslin bag with tie string. The invoice goes in the envelope. You can mail one of these USPS insured for a pittance, less than Priority Mail, by weight.

When you said one price, did you mean a substantial weight limit? I think a Priority Mail 2 pound pack is overkill. I mean, what kind of change gear tops a few ounces, or ever comes close to two pounds? Yes, you pay the same postage....

You could prestamp them all with adequate postage for more than enough weight, then just grab one, slip in an invoice, and drop it in a mailbox. There's a limitation of 16 ounces on parcels into mailboxes now. This would be below the limit.

Yours,

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Rex B attached a VCF card

Thyis causes me to immediately discard his post since these things can carry various nasties. Not saying _yours_ is but some do so why take chances? I suggest you get rid of it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I've only been using Thunderbird a short while. It doesn't have a nice easy way to attach a signiture like OE does. i wasn't aware the sig file had that characteristic. I'll delete it as soon as I can find it again. Not very intuitive, that. Apologies to all.

Rex

Ted Edwards wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

For ***** sake, if its *anything* like Mozilla Mail&News, it will have the option to attach a signature FILE. Select this, not the vCard, then click the choose file button. Right click a blank part of the folder opened in the choose file dialog and select 'new' 'text document'. Type a file name for the signature, then click off it to apply that name. Right click it and choose 'Open' (not the 'open' button!). It will open in notepad (or your configured text editor). Type in your signature. Save and exit Notepad. NOW double click that file and you will be returned to Account settings with the Sig filename correctly filled in.

*VERY IMPORTANT* START WITH '-- ' Enter (without the quotes), THATS DASH DASH SPACE NEWLINE This is essential as it lets other people's (standards complient *) newsreaders find the start of your signature so it doesn't get quoted when they reply to you. (* Not Outlook express, of course)

It is bad nettiquete to routinely use a signature of more than 4 70 character lines. (One off use of ASCII Art, satire or other humour has long been accepted but its *got* to be entertaining). Commercial content IS accepted *in your SIG* (remember 4 lines 70 chars) in any group I've ever encountered.

Hope this helps :-)

Yes, I know some of my SIG lines are over length :-( but I only use three lines here. If you choose to flame me, I'll give you a one off ASCII finger in reply. [/me Dons Asbestos Underware and Nomex suit :-)]

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Yes, it does help.

thanks

Ian Malcolm wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

-- It isn't. You don't have the option of attaching a sig file in Thunderbird. At least I haven't been able to find it.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

it's REAL obscure!! OE was a lot easier. Even better, you could type it right into the text box.

Go to Tools --> Account settings ---> and click on the top tab, which should be your ISP. It's on the right, near the bottom.

Rick Cook wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Oops. You're right. Now I can start annoying people with sigs again. Thanks.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook