OT Subject Good meat grinder

Our meat grinder is not powerful enough. I would like to find out if
there are meat grinders that are honestly made, but affordable. I
wanted to make one from my gearmotor and a manual grinder, but that is
dangerous due to big opening of the hand fed grinder (not a big issue
when the screw is turned with a handle), plus my wife thinks that
it will be unsightly. So, perhaps someone has a grinder that they like
and could recommend.
Ignoramus16627
... to grind your head. But before making another OT-posting, try getting all your fingers in it. Thanks!
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Miles Stair thinks highly of the manual grinder Northern sells:
food and water along to this site. You'll be there a while JR Dweller in the celar
Ignoramus16627 wrote:
Reply to
JR North
I've seen them in Harbor Freight ads for about 40 bucks, but don't know about their quality.
Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy
Kitchen Aide makes a really nice powerful mixer that is like a commercial Hobart but on a smaller home scale. You can get attachments for this machine, one of them is a meat grinder. This attachment also comes with tubes that fit on the end to make your own sausage.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
CRAP
We are quite happy with the attachment to out 400W Kitchenaid Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
The grinders that HF sells are actually pretty good IF you look them over good BEFORE you buy to make sure the tin coating is in good shape. They also will take the standard sized plates for different grinds. I have a very old No.20 that I use around here. I mounted it an a dedicated portable bench made from a couple folding saw horses. The motor is hinge mounted with a spring tensioner on it. The easy way around the danger is to ALWAYS use a wood plunger and to drop feed the machine. You don't stick your hand in it won't get caught.
Reply to
Steve W.
I like the Kitchenaid also but I only do 2 or 3 lbs at a time. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
Regarding those Kitchen aids, I found one on the street 2 years ago. It was broken. I took it apart and found out that it broke because a plastic gear either stripped or melted. I was unimpressed with their inside quality. Even with plastic gears, a clutch or a shear pin could have prevented the damage. I was able to find a replacement gear and sold this kitchenaid, but I am not very inclined to buy one, especially for a tough application like meat grinding. I wanted to find something electric, with a real gear drive, real motor, etc.
Ignoramus5179
"Ignoramus5179" wrote in
They make several grades and only the cheapest one has those wimpy plastic gears. The rest are real work horses.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
Have you tried looking around the local swap meets? Meat grinders show up fairly often, both the hand-driven and motor-driven kinds. Brands, of course, will vary, but generally the older "built like a tank" ones turn up.
Reply to
jpolaski
You could go with the Hobart. They've been around a long time. Try a used restaurant equipment place. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
17 years ago I went to the antique boutique mall and got a hand crank meat grinder for the 3 year old. Those meat grinders are cheap, and look like cast Aluminum.
I mounted it on a bench 2' off the floor. He and his little friends would grind up play dough in it. It reminded me of watching my parents make corned beef hash or horse radish.
I also got him a hand crank grinder. The kids would grind chalk with it.
Reply to
Clark Magnuson
You ground up a 3 year old? Hopefully we're talking calf :)
Oh, whew!
Mom has one of those. You can buy the Chinese knockoff of this venerable design from HF and Northern Tools, probably all the rest too.
Reply to
Rex