OT: update on healthcare system

Got a phone call tonight about 20:00 Sounded like a Somali telemarketer. "Ees dees Doenald?"

Give me a freakin' break, right? But I said yes, willing to see one more card before setting the phone down until bleepin' telemarketer realizes that she's talking to an open wire and hangs up.

"Your xray shows that your rib number 10 is fractured."

This response and report on Sunday night, weekend, on a minor and obviously non-urgent matter.

"I understand. What course of further treatment should I pursue?"

"Pain management."

"That's it?"

"Yes"

Can't beat this doc for succinct, right?

Works fer me. I have the ribwrap she gave me yesterday. It's not therapeutic, more for comfort and it does help a little. While shopping for stuff for Mary I glommed a bigger bottle of Advil ibuprophen gelcaps since they seem to work quite well for me. I'd never taken ibuprophen before. I haven't taken one since 1600 this afternoon and I'm not hurting enough to drop one now but I probably will take one when I go to bed to ensure a good sleep. I'm not averse to using meds to manage pain but I'm wary as hell about it. Years ago I refused all pain meds during recovery from cholosysectomy (gall bladder removal) because I thought they'd delay my recovery. I later learned that it wouldn't have made any difference. The nurses at the hospital were clearly amazed at how I toughed that out. They probably thought I was really dumb. They were probably right.

My wife-at-the-time was quite annoyed that I didn't appreciate her dutiful visits and incessant jabber. She was meeting her needs, not mine. I just wanted to be left the hell alone so I could focus on pain control. That excluded her. Well duh, it excluded everyone and everything. Totally self-centric, which I thought wasn't unreasonable at the time.

My uncle, a dentist, later told me it's a form of self hypnosis that can be nearly as effective as anasthesia for those that can master it. Oy din't know that at the time but I did know from military training that attitude and discipline could be very powerful allies in coping with misery. It works best for the young and strong, as soldiers tend to be.

I will go ahead and shoot tomorrow at the gunsmoke social and luncheon, no good reason not to. If Mozambique drill with .45 hurts then I'll immediately unload and clear the piece and continue with a .22. I'll minimize the load to 3 handguns in the rangebag and two calibers in the ammo bag, and I'll park in the handicapped spot (using Mary's tag) and left-handedly carry in one bag at a time.

During my several weeks of convalescence I shall daintily demur and desist from shovelling wet cement, sand or gravel, mounting 12" chucks on the lathe or Kurt vises on the mill, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, amphibious assaults, rassling alligators and shooting rhinos and cape buffalo with a .470 Nitro Express rifle.

Reply to
Don Foreman

NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen work as a pain killer AND as an anti-inflammatory. for the anti-inflammatory part to work it needs to be taken on a schedule for three days running for optimal effect. Taking it willie-nillie just doesn't work in this respect. You'd have to take huge doses for a very long period to be harmful...according to my doc. I think the anti-inflammatory aspect of NSAIDs is in your interest.

Reply to
Tantalus

My doctor advises taking calcium with vitamin D to keep ones bones strong. So I was taking calcium carbonate and then read or heard that calcium citrate was more easily adsorbed. So bought some and for a while was taking one of each until I ran out of calcium carbonate. Then was taking two calcium citrate.

For me not a good thing. I developed heartburn. More reading on calcium citrate found information that says calcium citrate is only better if you have low acid levels in your stomach. Otherwise calcium carbonate is just as good as far as being adsorbed, cheaper, and will not give you heartburn.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

All I can think to ask after reading that is "How does Don know what a Somali telemarker sounds like?" Most curious!

Works for me.

I've lived on them since acquiring tinnitus from excessive aspirin after I hurt my back. I had just sobered up so I didn't want to chance getting hooked on Zanax or something. I get 2 shrinkwrapped bottles of

500 each in Kirkland brand at Costco. About the same price as a box of 20 Advil. ;) Mom uses Advil gelcaps exclusively. Either works on me.

Not only the nurses...

No, not unreasonable. I like to curl up in a dark, quiet place when I'm hurting, too. By myself, thankyouverymuch. I find that "Thank you for your concern, but I need to rest." and a kiss, if apropos, while viciously shoving them completely out of my space.

Excellent place to show off the rib wrap (which you needed to recover from the client extraction gone awry in Sierra Leone last week), huh?

Half a dozen good books would do better for your bod, but I understand that the adventurous mind has to be satisfied, too. The smell of gunpowder is a nice bracer, innit?

That is likely a good plan of inaction on your part, sir. Carry on.

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had HEARD of people that had broken a rib by coughing, but never actually KNEW one. Don't worry, it'll all be better soon. You got the advantage of having a lot going on. Those that don't take longer to heal, IMHO. Keeps your mind busy.

There IS grounds for the advice the dentist told you. Breathing control, and then a little transcendental meditation mantra has a way of bringing you waaaaaaay down. I have to tell the tekkie not to pop me with those ammonia inhalants when I come out of a MRI, I'm so far gone. Otherwise, I can't stay still that long because of the pain. It's easy, and a smart guy like you shouldn't have a problem. Google square breathing, meditation technique-square breathing, and meditation. I thought it was just for those gals who could put their heel behind their head, and ate yogurt and nuts, but it's for us hog part eaters, too.

Muddy Waters at low volume works for me sometimes, too .................... Got Good Lookin Woman playin right now ....................lalalalalalala................

Good luck.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

SteveB

Where did you get your M.D., Doctor?

Giving medical advice like that is VERY dangerous. Take it from a near expert with a 52 year cardiac history. EVERY PERSON should consult their doctor before taking ANYTHING in addition to their prescribed meds. I think Don is taking some other meds from his MD.

There are clashes, sometimes very serious, between medicines. Particularly when the patient may be taking prescription meds, and then goes out and buys some over the counter med or herb. Common grapefruit causes reactions to many pharmaceuticals.

Your intentions are well intended, but they are dangerous. Since my heart surgery nearly nine years ago, I have learned a lot of counterindications and reactions from OTC meds by just asking my cardiologist.

Most people say, "Oh, I take it, and it is all right. What's the worst that could happen?" Put being rushed to the ER for a tracheotomy because your tongue, mouth, and lips are so swollen from an instant reaction to a new drug on your list. Yeah, BTDT, so I am a little adamant on the subject of, "Take this, it worked for me."

I did that in the sixties, but it was, "Take some of this. It's good shit, man." An hour later they asked, how is it? Don't you know? No, we wanted to give some to YOU to see what would happen. Ah, "good" friends and youth ........ and being so stupid you didn't know that you didn't know.

BTW, I react with serious rapid skin inflammation when I take any naproxen, although I have taken it in my life before I developed an allergy.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

SteveB

It appears that a cracked rib is no big deal. They don't do anything about it. I went shooting today and it didn't get in the way at all.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'm not one. I broke it last Monday when I slipped on the ice and went down like a headshot groundhog, making a one-point landing when my ribcage hit a melon-sized chunk of ice. The groundhog wouldn't notice but I sure as hell did.

Didn't think anything was broken, didn't worry about it. Then, on Thursday evening while watching TV, I coughed hard. I felt something inside move and had a sensory rerun of that ice melon slamming me in the ribs. I didn't think my eyes could cross that far.

"Move" I thought? Aren't supposed to be any moving parts in there. Damn! I decided I'd better get an xray. So I did, eventually.

Coulda skipped it. They say yeah it's cracked, so don't do anything that hurts for a few weeks. Well duh! I assume that the film showed the various bits to be arranged and aligned in correct juxtaposition for proper healing without need for adjustment, correction or lots of screaming.

Gunsmoke social and luncheon today went fine. I had no problem with

9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP. Todd was top gun today, I came in second.

I later learned that Laura stopped to visit with Mary for an hour and a half this afternoon. She walked right in with the five-bull we use for our little competition rolled up under her arm, smiled sweetly and whizzed right down the hall to Mary's room to show her the target full of bulletholes with names written on each target. One of the five bulls had no holes at all. That would have been Mary's target, had she been there.

My group was tighter than Todd's, pretty much one big ragged hole (10 rounds) but his hits were centered on the bull better. I need to tweak the sights on that 1911 a bit.

The attendants were unusually attentive to Mary tonight. Go figure! There's just something about a well-shot target, I guess. I teased one of them a little, saying it must be nice to have an old fart do part of her job for her as I take care of Mary from after dinner until she's down for the night. She grinned and made like she was gonna snap my rib bandage. WHOA!!! Damn, she's quick! Then she gave me a sandwich for the ride home, damned decent of her I thought.

Getting to know the staff in a place like just never hurts. I think the patients/residents/inmates who have family that show up and pay attention do tend to get better care.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I only see this in Steve's reply, didn't see the post.

How would dealing with a problem I don't have (inflammation) be in my interest?

Your doc's good advice to you may be very bad advice for others. Assuming the best of intentions on your part, being an advisee does not qualify you to be an advisor.

Reply to
Don Foreman

LOL! ;-D

"Pain is Mother Nature's Way of saying, 'Don't do that!'" --- Rich Grise, ca. 1999

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise