OT Vacuum pump maintenance / repair

Oh???? Isn't that where one of the nation's top lightning research centers is?
jk
jk wrote:

Woooooooooooooooooosh! ESD isn't lightning. A lightning strike causes a hell of a lot more damage than a HV discharge you don't even feel. Do you think a wrist strap with a 1 M ohm resistor to ground will protect you from lightning? Have you ever worked in Electronics manufacturing, or even a properly designed repair center? Have you ever certified workstations or soldering tools to comply with a company's ESD procedure and ISO 9001 process?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

LAND SHARK !!!!!
come on - has almost everyone lost their sense of humor?
Bill Noble wrote:

EBAY SHARK !!!!!
Laugh all you want. You auctioned off your mind & soul on eBay, anyway.
A big part of my career in electronics dealt with mission critical systems, and dealing with idiots who thought it was funny to damage them.
Would you like to live downrange of a missile launch, if the command destruct receivers we built were defective?
Or need accurate weather data to save your life and the earth stations we designed & built for NOAA were ESD damaged and they failed due to poor ESD control?
Here's some humor for you: Lick the drill bit in your drill press while it's running to save money on cutting fluid.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

MT - I guess you really do lack all sense of humor - that is very sad, and you have my sympathy - you will perhaps live longer by not responding to my posts if you cannot understand them. I am sorry for you, truly sorry. I will not engage in a debate with you.
Bill Noble wrote:

Yawn. A lot of people love my sense of humor. Some on this group email me quite often, and I reply with jokes they say they liked. I've never seen anything from you that was remotely funny. You never engage in debate. You just expect people to kiss your ass, and that won't happen.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Fri, 14 May 2010 02:02:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

But lightning is ESD, sure enough. BIG ESD.
Don Foreman wrote:

How often have you had lighting hit your workbench and leave lecetronics working, but damaged?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:39:41 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Magnitude notwithstanding, lightning IS an electrostatic discharge.
Joe
Joe wrote:

And the sun is a flashlight?
I suppose you have lightning rods on your workbench and a piece of antistatic mat on your roof.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:03:27 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Not quite; the sun is a big fusion reactor, although, come to think of it, both give off light by incandescence (assuming the flashlight is the old style).

As a matter of fact, I do have a (single) lightning rod on my workbench. A few weeks ago, I found a really cool antique twisted copper rod at the flea market. It was six feet tall, had a multicolored glass sphere about 4 inches diameter, in addition to a clear spool-shaped glass piece. The forked tip elements were curved inwards toward each other. I never have been able to justify paying the price dealers get for those old rods, but when he said "Five bucks", I just about tripped over other shoppers to give him the money. It now is lying on the workbench while I try to figure out how and where I will mount it.
I don't have an antistatic mat on my roof, however; since both my house and my garage roofs are metal, it would be somewhat redundant.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Other than scale, they are both portable lights with a limited life span.

And? It won't prevent ESD (Electro Static Damage) to elctronics on your bench.

Are those roof panels bonded & grounded? If not, you will have a real mess if lightning strikes.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:45:12 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

But that issue wasn't part of your original reply to me.

Yeahbut, you didn't explicitly stipulate grounding in your reply, and I make no claims as to the effectiveness of the metal roof in any other sense than how well it works at shielding my buildings from cumulonimbus discharge. <g>
Joe
Joe wrote:

Then you assumed that ESD meant 'Electro Static Discharge' instead of 'Electro Static Damage'

It is never a shield 'from cumulonimbus discharge'. It is, however a safety issue. Grin all you want. A bonded and grounded roof can mean the difference in a minor problem, or a major fire.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If it lets the 'cumulonimbus discharge' in, its time to get up there with a tube of mastic! ;-)
IanM wrote:

More likely it'll be time for a bulldozer to clear the site, for a nw building. :(
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Wed, 19 May 2010 14:57:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Well, this is getting overly long, but I gotta say...
I spent 4 years as the electronics tech for the EMC/ESD Lab at 2 different facilities for NCR. EMC stood for Electromagnetic Compatability and ESD stood for Electrostatic Discharge. Those were the terms in the 1970s and early 1980s, used by everyone with whom I came in contact, including the guys involved in the military's TEMPEST program. Maybe the initials have changed in meaning over the years, but back then, when everything was being driven by the FCC part 15, subpart J rules, those were the terms we used.

Cumulonimbus clouds shed a lot of moisture - we call it precipitation. My roof is an effective shield from that discharge. My general apathy is my effective shield towards pedantic humorless replies. Please lighten up a bit.
Joe
Joe wrote:

'Electro Static Damage' was used in electronics manufacturing in the '90s and early part of this millennium. failed parts are damaged by multiple causes. Electro static is just one, but it was controllable in a proper work environment. Conductive mats, wrist straps, heel grounds and properly grounded soldering irons. A continuous audit of these systems brought 'Electro Static Damage' down to an acceptable level, of near zero. :)

Have you ever seen what happens when lightning strikes an ungrounded roof? If you are in the wrong spot between it and ground, the discharge continues through your body. In that case, you might as well be outdoors, naked and holding a metal rod as high as you can.
A properly grounded metal framed & grounded building can still be damaged. One was an office area. The strike magnetized the entire skeleton of the building, making all their color video monitors unusable.
I consider death rather humorless.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
the following:

Cool. I'd never seen one until you mentioned it. Here's a hand-crafted one: http://www.metalhands.com/lightningrod.htm

It's properly grounded?
-- Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -- John Adams, December 1770 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials'
On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:35:38 -0700, Larry Jaques

Sweet. That is a really imaginative design - sorta steampunk in fact. Thanks for the link. I will try to get a picture or two of mine and post them somewhere (got a good photo sharing site?). I've seen lots of 2 or 3 foot lightning rods, but this is the only one I've seen that is so tall. The cable that was used to connect the rods to the ground was often a thing of beauty as well. There is a good example in a park near Wilmington, DE that protects a beautiful oak tree; it is a very thick braided copper cable that divides off to follow each major limb. The park formerly was the private garden of one of the DuPont women, so she had the werewithal to provide the care that such a specimen deserved.

Nah.
Joe