OT Vehicle Electrical Troubleshooting

I'm about to dive back into my main convenience once again, last time it took about 40 hours of work. Before the problem was that a diffuser plate that protects the electrical from melting on the back of the alternator had rusted off the exhaust manifold and then dropped down and got caught by the main power to the alternator and the frame, thus shorting out intermittently.

Does anyone know exactly what an alternator wants and when? The main fusible link had melded down and I might have weakened / let out some magic smoke while hooking up the main power after having the alternator tested. Seems the main power is off till the engine is running and I put it power all the time for a second or two. But, it worked and was charging for a awhile and now the charge light is on again. Tested with a meter when it was fixed and now, so the dummy light is correct.

I got a stick and pushed the three lead plug in, thinking it might not have snapped in, and it smoked a bit. Weird, but this thing is operating in extreme conditions as in oil spray and sand. Maybe I should just replace it once a year till the vehicle dies.

There was another intermittent thing I noticed when the whole vehicle had its guts hanging out, that one of the two powers that go through the ignition switch can be altered when moving the key back and forth. Tried wiggling that to see if the light would go out.

I found one site that almost gave me what I needed. Where the three wires go and the main power, but not when where and why. I'm pretty sure the regulator is in the alternator, btw.

At the moment all I can think of is look over the wiring again and have the alternator tested again, or maybe buy another, but afraid to toast an new one cause I missed a short or something on this nightmare.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Yes. Does your news server have more than one group?

Reply to
John Doe

SW

Tell us more about your vehicle. Tell us what make and model. A shot in the dark answer to your question is that the big wire where it connects to the alternator has its' terminal gone bad. Or was never good in the first place. Note that some manufacturers recommend that the terminal NOT be soldered. Just crimped. And of course get the heat shield back up to spec. It was put there for a eason as you have found out. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Ok, looks like unidentified dead guy is on it anyhow.

1989 Toy Van, and I did solder the wire, but only 1/3 was fried apart. cleaned first and lots of electrical tape. I have two books from the factory full book with partial electrical and full blown electrical, which I'm becoming familiar with. Yeah, couldn't get the bolts out of the manifold so I put it up there and stuck a washer over the head of one hex of the bolt and then welded it, that was fun! BTW had the battery totally disconnected while I did that, took me awhile to convince myself it had to go back on, only two finger widths away from that three pronged plug.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

What's that Lassie? You say that Sunworshipper fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:55:51 -0500:

Depends. Some are regulated before the field coil, some after. Some are internally regulated, some external. I found two good books on the subject.

One is _The 12 volt doctors alternator book_

And the other is _Alternator Secrets_ by Lindsay Publications.

Reply to
dan

Took the alternator to be tested, arrow doesn't go all the way up, close. Hmmm, maybe the wiring is ok. Last night I checked it the best I could and to the point of everything looking like it is suppose to be hot. The three biggest are hot, or was the mid way one on when running... can't remember. The one for the dummy and charge fuse has got me confused on which way the power is coming from, but seemed about right.

Maybe pick up the new one tomorrow. Was thinking, I think I welded that part up after installing the alternator, maybe hot beads flying down in the alt. isn't good for them. Guess that slipped my mind, guess I should have seen that coming and at least thought of covering that. LOL

Anyhow, thanks so far.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper