OT : What are you doing about Valentine's Day?

This is totally off topic. If you have procrastinated your plans for Valentine's Day, may I offer a suggestion?

Hire a Barbershop Quartet to sing to your lady on Valentine's Day. There are Barbershop Chapters all over the country, here is a way to find one:

I happen to sing bass in a quartet, and this is the most fun I have all year long. You can't go wrong. Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Hot damn. Brings back memories. Long, long ago, when I was a traveling salesman, I stayed at a downtown hotel in San Antonio, Texas.

On the little stand there at the foyer was:

WELCOME SPEBSQSA!

I had no clue what it was. Then, from off in the corner, a group of four fellows was harmonizing. Charming, I thought. Entertainers in the lobby.

Then there were four more when I got off the elevator, and four more down the hall.

I asked the bellhop. He said it was the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America. IIRC.

Well, for a while, it was fun. But by the time I left in a few days, it was like working at a candy store and losing your taste for candy.

But some mighty fine singing, and the schlep acting and choreography that went with it, too. And costumes with straw bowlers and red and white striped shirts, and little bow ties.

Then I think of the theater downtown close by that had the little opera seats all around, and the sky with the little starlights in it. And the River Walk.

And Conchita Gonzales.

But I digress..............

BTW, my anniversary is Valentine's Day. Time to go shopping. I still have time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

According to the TeeVee, you're supposed to get her a new teddy bear. ;-P

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you were smart you got married on Valentine's Day, then you don't have to worry about what to do for VD, you just take her out to dinner for your anniversary, which you won't forget because the Western World is saturated with advertising about VD.

If you weren't smart, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I'd probably be into VD if I were a florist. But I'm not. Go away.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Rich Grise" wrote

Yeah, and according to the TeeVee, the Democrats have a secret solution to all our woes, too. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's gotta be just about the nicest abbreviation I've seen all day.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

I was taught to avoid VD and to wear condoms in any questionable situations

i who is married and has not questionable situations

Reply to
Ignoramus1088

Songs linger in memories, tools last forever (ok, maybe not..) - buy a special new tool to do that long awaited household job, gift wrap it, present it to her and say "honey, I really care..... - besides, if you want to get all soppy, buy the dozen roses the next day - usually 10% of the price. You can lie and say they were sold out when you tried on the day.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

That's what I'm doing for my wife tomorrow :)

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

DanG wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

I did that one year, years ago, and she still mentions it as a high point in the Valentine's Day parade of presents. 29 years this May.

Reply to
Russ Kepler

My wife & I will be going to a Greater Boston Pistol League match. I fully expect her to out shoot me. That usually pleases her quite a bit...

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Last year we went to the movies at the mall.

Pausing at Victoria's Secret to admire the new, uhmmm, products I told her that thanks to her I had discovered that the most wonderful, exciting, erotic thing about a woman's breasts (at which point an eyebrow was arching, and the smile rather thin) is the heart that beats behind them.

Richard

Warning! Don't try this with a casual relationship. You'll never get rid of her....

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Does anyone else get the willies with references to the heart when talking about love? I can only see an actual beating heart inside a chest. Gory. "Broken heart" is particularly hard to appreciate. I can't imagine what it feels like when your heart stops beating.

As far as VD, I'll be cooking. I recommended either Pizza Pops or Kraft Dinner. Apparently I'm making tenderloin instead....

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

"Robin S." wrote

I can only see an actual beating heart inside a chest. Gory.

Imagine this: eight hours of heart surgery. Five way bypass. Aortic valve replacement. Stopping the heart so they can work on it, restarting it.

Been there. Done that. Got the little heart shaped pillow they give you so your eyeballs don't pop out when you cough.

It's commonplace today, and you might have it done to you.

You actually don't feel a thing.

That is, until you wake up, and the pain medicine wears off.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Try living with a wife who had a double bypass, V-Tac, sleep apnea and Factor 5/Liden.

Brings on a whole new meaning to "heart ache"

And makes each morning a morning of discovery..reaching over and making sure she didnt die in the night.

Someday Ill reach over and touch her bare ass..and find it cold as a slab of beef.

Tends to give one a different outlook.....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Ah, Metal Men! :^)

Reply to
Richard Lamb

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:55:10 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

You meant to say "ex-wife" didn't you, though you're currently together?

Ah, you betcha.

Reminiscent of the Alice Cooper song "Cold Ethel", eh?

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

ljaques

I made some "love certificates" that entitles my wife to all th

different things she likes like us going for long walks without havin me complain

-- a1steelbuildings

Reply to
a1steelbuildings