Not sure what are they doing exactly

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe, pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze is there.

Ignoramus31410

Having never seen a coconut, they're hoping they just found a whole box full of them.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Reminiscent of the Bugs Bunny episode in which the gremlin is tapping on the ends of bombs with a hammer in order to "test" them. Bugs walks over and says "Hey Doc, let me have a whack at it."

Reply to
rangerssuck

By the way, the axe that is shown on the picture, is extremely nice and can be used for just about everything: pounding nails, felling trees, splitting wood, and carpentry.

I have one just like that.

Ignoramus31410

Whatever it is, it looks like there's no future to it...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We would call that a broadaxe, which was used for squaring logs and timbers, and for notching. A smaller version would be a carpenter's hatchet.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And look at the guy in the middle. He closed his eyes just in case this artillery shell explodes.

Here's "the future", right from the same newspaper, though in a different region.

This story talks about a large military ordnance warehouse that caught fire today. A 10km area is evacuated.

I would call this the "Russian style" approach to safety.

Ignoramus31410

My translation

WARGAMES OF A SELF-PROPELLED ARTILLERY BRIGADE.

Artillerymen who won a prize in a district wide military competition, will take part in the final army wide part of it. It will be traditionally held in the Luzhsk artillery range in the Western military district, in July.

Provided they survive until July, of course.

Ignoramus31410

Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to a .ru site.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

about to go to

Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.

I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to see what is going on.

Ignoramus31410

about to go to

Oh, they are just setting a slightly stuck fuse dial, but the guy with the eyes closed has had problems before with this method, check out the bandaids on his fingers.

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

about to go to

Maybe he had problems with something else, this is the army, they always have bruised everything and scratches.

Ignoramus31410

knife as a drift punch to try and un-screw it. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

about to go to

That's a sweet little axe.

I wonder if this is one of those Russian versions of mote posters. Y'know, like these:

ironic sense of humor makes me adore those, BTW.)

Maybe this one fits here:

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Right, the patented Russian EasyOut(r).

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

not about to go to

It is an awesome axe. I have two of those.

Reply to
Ignoramus31410

Maybe they are trying to adjust the setting on the fuze?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

One for each hand on Halloween?

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch on Fri, 27 May 2011 13:41:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Why limit it to the Russians?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

about to go to

Rusty? Corroded from not quite optimal storage?

Three guys recreating a Bug Bunny Cartoon?

W/o more data, one cannot know. Not knowing, cannot say.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich