Not sure what are they doing exactly

These guys are pounding a knife into an artillery shell with an axe,
pretty hard. Removing a fuze, or what? It does not look like the fuze
is there.

Ignoramus31410
Having never seen a coconut, they're hoping they just found a whole box full of them.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Reminiscent of the Bugs Bunny episode in which the gremlin is tapping on the ends of bombs with a hammer in order to "test" them. Bugs walks over and says "Hey Doc, let me have a whack at it."
Reply to
rangerssuck
By the way, the axe that is shown on the picture, is extremely nice and can be used for just about everything: pounding nails, felling trees, splitting wood, and carpentry.
I have one just like that.
Ignoramus31410
Whatever it is, it looks like there's no future to it...
Reply to
Jim Stewart
We would call that a broadaxe, which was used for squaring logs and timbers, and for notching. A smaller version would be a carpenter's hatchet.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
And look at the guy in the middle. He closed his eyes just in case this artillery shell explodes.
Here's "the future", right from the same newspaper, though in a different region.
This story talks about a large military ordnance warehouse that caught fire today. A 10km area is evacuated.
I would call this the "Russian style" approach to safety.
Ignoramus31410
My translation
WARGAMES OF A SELF-PROPELLED ARTILLERY BRIGADE.
Artillerymen who won a prize in a district wide military competition, will take part in the final army wide part of it. It will be traditionally held in the Luzhsk artillery range in the Western military district, in July.
Provided they survive until July, of course.
Ignoramus31410
Considering graphics exploits that have affected windoze machines, I'm not about to go to a .ru site.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
about to go to
Looks rather stupid to me, I wonder if there is some mundane explanation.
I resized the image above by 2x, by the way, just to make it easier to see what is going on.
Ignoramus31410
about to go to
Oh, they are just setting a slightly stuck fuse dial, but the guy with the eyes closed has had problems before with this method, check out the bandaids on his fingers.
Reply to
T.Alan Kraus
about to go to
Maybe he had problems with something else, this is the army, they always have bruised everything and scratches.
Ignoramus31410
knife as a drift punch to try and un-screw it. ...lew...
Reply to
Lewis Hartswick
about to go to
That's a sweet little axe.
I wonder if this is one of those Russian versions of mote posters. Y'know, like these:
(My ironic sense of humor makes me adore those, BTW.)
Maybe this one fits here:
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Right, the patented Russian EasyOut(r).
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Reply to
Larry Jaques
not about to go to
It is an awesome axe. I have two of those.
> I wonder if this is one of those Russian versions of mote posters. > Y'know, like these:
(My ironic sense of humor makes me adore those, BTW.) > > Maybe this one fits here:
Ignoramus31410
Maybe they are trying to adjust the setting on the fuze?
Wes
Reply to
Wes
One for each hand on Halloween?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Gunner Asch on Fri, 27 May 2011 13:41:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Why limit it to the Russians? > >Gunner
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
"T.Alan Kraus" on Thu, 26 May 2011 18:08:46 -0700 typed >> >>> >>>
about to go to
Rusty? Corroded from not quite optimal storage?
Three guys recreating a Bug Bunny Cartoon?
W/o more data, one cannot know. Not knowing, cannot say.
pyotr
Reply to
pyotr filipivich