Sheet roller

I want to make some half cylinder wall sconces for outdoor lighting. Maybe even some full tubes.

Can I get a roller that will do that like the cheapie ring rollers at HF?

Can I make some? I have a BUNCH of rollers that come from those material handling rolling frames that are around 1.5" OD, and can use one for about

12" materials, and weld a few together for more.

Or I could buy some pipe and make a roller. Does that require two or three pieces to roll?

Help appreciated.

What's it called?

Sorry I have to ask questions, but I don't know everything.

Yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A "slip roller" or "slip rolls"

Here's one DIY:

Vince Gingery has a little how-to book for one. See Lindsy's (sp) books.

I captured this pic from a video:

(700kB, sorry) It has a different layout and uses cranks to link the 2 driving rolls, which I like.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

A series of shallow straight bends doesn't look bad and may be easier to do. I'd clamp some steel angle to the top of a sawhorse, corner up, for the lower die and saw a wide groove in the edge of a 2x4 for the upper one. That way you can line up pencil marks for the bends with the corner of the angle. Uprights clamped to the sawhorse to guide the upper die would help a lot. Use a coffee can or such as the gage to get all the bends about equal.

I bought a 30" 3-in-1 machine because I don't have space for separate shear and finger brake.:

The rolls are about 1.5" diameter, not quite stiff enough to roll full- width 1/16" 6061 aluminum properly. Two rolls squeeze together to grab the work and drive it over the third, which you raise or lower experimentally to force the desired curvature. On this machine the rolls run in bushing sleeves which the adjusting screws push against. The sleeves slide in milled slots. It wouldn't be hard to make one if you omit the roll release for removing closed cylinders.

This is a 40" brake I made to bend aluminum to cover my old wood window frames:

after making more convenient clamping cams:
When I showed it to a friend he said he had a 10' Tapco siding brake I could borrow!

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Bob Engelhardt wrote: ...

I guess that I was a bit misleading: that's not my roll/roller - it was a YouTube video that I captured it from cause I liked the crank-and-link arrangement. I think the video was about making a wheel for something & the roller was used to make the "tire".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt