OT- What's this sand in cartridge fuses?

Good grief NO!!!!! I was talking about the puny 13.8 KV that will merely fry a tree that leans against the wire. That clip was some of the

100++ KV l> RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote: : :Sort of like this? : :

:I don't know if the clip is real or fake, but it is impressive. : :Jeff

It's real. It's from SWEPCO in Shreveport, LA with the explanation:

"This is a 3 phase 500KV motor operated disconnect that is NOT intended to be opened under load. There is a switcher that is designed to open under load in the circuit that is supposed to open load and then the disconnect opens. In this case, one phase of the switcher failed to open, resulting in one phase of the disconnect opening under load. The resulting arc was truly spectacular. The reason that this event was caught on camera is because this particular switcher has had a failure to open in the past so every time the switcher was opened, a camera has been set up. This time they got the failure on tape"

The arc sustained until an upstream circuit breaker stopped the current.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Bert Hickman has a few other "arcs and sparks" up on his page here, for those who are into this sort of thing: http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Oh, then it must have been more like this one. One tough and lucky bear:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia