OT - Why not start your own black oxide operation?

Group,

Why not start your own black oxide operation?

I have heard a number of people say, stay away from black oxide for EPA reasons.

Is this accurate? Can the fluids (or whatever materials required) not be managed effectively?

Has anyone setup a black oxide operation only to abandon it because of the associated headaches?

The reason I ask is in our town we only have 2 choices for black oxide and we constantly have trouble with quality and availability (they turn us away because they are busy).

Alex

Reply to
Alex Charles

Alex-if you want to know about black oxide why not look at the MSDS for the process you are interested in? There are several. Google to find producers of the chemicals. Try Brownells. They sell the stuff for gunsmiths to do black oxide. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

You might also look at this:

Room temp DIY black oxide, no EPA problems.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf