Pedestal Mounted Vise

I weighed the mast end of my shop crane to determine its moment and made up a table of the equivalent hook loads for the boom extension settings. Of course if it does tip forward the horizontal moment at the hook increases, so iffy loads aren't raised any more than necessary to block them up and roll the legs underneath. If they have to be moved while raised, like unloading a truck, I chain them to the mast to keep them from swinging forward.

Cheap accident insurance:

Rebuilding a neighbor's old Curtis snow plow became much easier when I brought over my lifting gear to align the pivot pin holes. Otherwise they need about three husky guys with 6' crowbars to reassemble. I can understand why the previous owner gave it away.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My confusion was that I thought you had made the thing one welded piece.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is a good combination of a narrow wedge end to force under the load or between rocks and a mushroom head that doesn't snag on pockets or buttons, the off-pavement equivalent of a Johnson bar:

They are meant for digging and tamping post holes, an are also useful for cutting stump roots.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Mine only needed sandblasting, and painting, as it was not used much.

Reply to
Ignoramus1521

I'd guess those would be a tripping hazard.

Yes, they work well, but beat the crap out of your body, as do clamshell post hole diggers. I did my share of that before I got this, which I love. Gas Powered Earth Auger

Larry Jaques

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp. I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

That's a cool little table. It looks very handy and versatile, yet compact. 2 vises + threaded holes = nice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The holes are stepped, not threaded so the locking plier will mount flush to the table. I've got two of them, only one made it into the picture. They have a loop shaped nut below. Very much like this from HF if not the same:

They work really nice for holding down a mower blade while sharpening with an angle grinder.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I have one of those clamps. Its mounted to one of my mini drill presses. Unfortunately I can not mount it on my larger drill press as it has a t-slot table.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

NICE! Is the hole in the corner so you can use a Pritchel clamp or just another mounting point for the locking clamp?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's for a manual turn-table. Maybe a 12 inch round disk, 1/2 inch thick with a metal post sticking out below to fit the hole. Drop the post through a shallow bushing and then the table. Clamp your welding ground to the post, now sticking out below. Mount your work to the disk. Slowly turn the disk with your free hand while welding. I was always going to adapt an old wheel roller bearing to replace the bushing but never got around to it. Was using a MIG at the time. You could weld completely around stuff without stopping...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Ahh, so they are, so they are. So you have two rows of 3.

Yes, handy gadgets.

Yeah, those would work a treat for that. Then quickly disconnect to weigh the outcome on a nail clamped in the swivel vise.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sure you can. Shorten the stud as needed, then make a nut to fit if it doesn't already. I've used one like this on Glenn Neff's mill. (Old poster to RCM.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques