Petition to succeed?

Texas, and 18 other states? Interesting...

The Lone Star offering (the handiwork of an Arlington resident named ?Micah H?) reads as follows:

We petition the Obama Administration to peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.

The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government?s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it?s citizens? standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

The petition?s been up since Friday, and when I first clicked on it at

8:30 this morning there were 16,848 signatures; eight minutes later that number had jumped by 100. (Update at 9:17 a.m.: Now, more than 17,300 have signed the petition.) Never mind that Texas can?t secede from the Union: As Gawker points out, should the petition reach the 25,000-signature threshold, well, ?White House staff will review it, ensure it?s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.? Looking forward to that update.
Reply to
Richard

I doubt the petition to secede will succeed...

These come about every so often. Why even the French Quebec secessionist movement that's been around for nearly 50 yr (or perhaps even longer--that's about the limit of my memory for such nonsense) has been stirred up again recently...

There's been one every so often for the rural subsectional area of the state in which I reside as well as neighboring areas of adjoining states that have the same problem of large geographic areas w/ very low population densities that therefore have no effective say in policies that effect their unique economic issues that are far different than those in populated areas, all road funding going to cities despite our long distances to anywhere that need decent roads, etc., etc., etc., ...

It's nice rhetoric but it'll never happen (and wouldn't _really_ solve anything, even if it did)...

Reply to
dpb

Actually, it just did.

It only took three days from the date of the petition, and two of those were weekend...

It runs until Dec 9th?

Might indicate a very strong desire for the feds to clean up their budget act?

But f course, anything like that can be ignored...

Reply to
Richard

As opposed to permission to fail?

("succeed" and "secede" are way different...)

Reply to
David Lesher

I cannot see how a President alone can approve a secession, it seems contrary to the common sense.

Ignoramus8072

Then Obama's the man for the job!...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He can't really, Iggy.

I'm seeing this a "popular vote" by the people themselves.

Reply to
Richard

But if they do secede, who will pay for their Lipitor?

Ignoramus8072

The VASTLY lowered taxes from the new minimalist gov't will allow them to easily pay for it themselves.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, I would say, it would be an interesting experiment.

Ignoramus8072

I really don't want to see the USA ununited, but it might be safer than continuing with the existing totally corrupt gov't.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And no longer having 30 million illegal aliens and their anchor babies on welfare will reduce that to very small dollars

Gunner

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

(Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.)

Reply to
Gunner

It would be much simpler to kick Washington, DC, out. All the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats living there would no longer have any say in US affairs.

I wish you could also do it to Canberra.

Alan

Reply to
alan200

Invite the Taliban to D.C. and Canberra? What a unique idea, Alan!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wish you all success.

.