Part P petition

Those of you with views on the 'part P' electrical regulations may be interested to hear that there is a petition for it's repeal on the No
10 web site.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Part-P-Review /
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I think they should make it stiffer,Andrew.(BG) Start with testing all the time served would be sparks out there.We only let subbies wire lights and plugs and run cables to but not connect to machines.One guy we use is not allowed to touch anything unless I have checked it is safe as he has shocked himself twice here and blew a finger off on another job.I opened up a five pin plug at the weekend that another approved spark had wired.He had Black-phase 1,Black-ph 2,Blue-ph 3 and Brown-neutral.And they wonder why I won`t let them into machine panels. Mark.

Then it is up to you to start an alternative petition.
Insofar as the building regulations are concerned with domestic wiring the existing position is "...The number of relevant fatalities has more than doubled since its introduction [and this is] probably due to the use of dangerous temporary 'lash-ups' rather than safe fixed wiring thus avoiding the hassle and expense of complying with Part P. There is no evidence to indicate that there has ever been a problem with non-professionally installed fixed wiring."
Meanwhile, having very recently installed lighting in my wife's art studio, I am more than happy to sign <http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Part-P-Review/ .
--
Mike Hopkins
CSME <http://www.cheltsme.org.uk>
Mike H wrote:

The last thing we need is more petitions or rules and regulations for that matter. Mark
writes concerning

This is pretty much what I and a few other (competent) people I know, predicted would happen. Signed. Martin
--

I am only rated at city and guilds level and did appliance repair
washers, microwaves etc but one of the things i could never come t terms with was the customers attitude. I remeber one call out to a oven problem, i pulled the oven out from its housing and sat it on th floor. I looked at the wiring which was cloth covered and connected b a chocky block, i told the lady of the house that most times whe looking at the morning news, (a family had died due to an electrica fault), i walked out of the house, anyone would, the last thing yo want is your name associated with that sort of job. Did i get the job never heard from them since, Dav

Just shows how crap the system is doesn't it. Needs revising
Charles
Charles
    Re the air brush you are advertising for a tenner....if it's still available, I would like it please.
Regards --

This is irrelevant to Part P - which only applies to domestic installations.
James
James wrote:

WHAT.... Our 3 phase Morphy Richards boils a litre of water in about 5 seconds... The snag is condensing it so we can get the water in the cups. Three phase in the domestic kitchen is a must, never had a load the Kenwood mixer couldn't handle, even if it had set....
Joules, pass me the 3 phase twist connectors...

You obviously had lessons from my Grandad - he had a 13 amp socket wired one phase to each pin...
The house I grew up in had three phase terminated in the garage but only one phase taken into the house.
Steve
On or around Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:22:08 +0000, Roger Smith

I'm waiting for a thing that says I can't repair me own motors, without taking to be inspected at ruinous expense.

I'm all in favour of safety, just that I don't think the Prat P regulations are doing much to improve it.
as with most recent legislation, the underlying idea is good, but the implementation is a pile of crap.
"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent.
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Whats part p
Is it something to do with diyers. and banning DIyers from putting in or extending their electrical installation
whats to stop you just ignoring it ...and just doing it yourself anyway .. they are never going to know its impossible to find out.
please explain .. then i can make my mind up weather to put my name to this petition ..
a petition ...that you read ...and your still not any the wiser, what it's going on about.!!!
who ever made this petition...if it is aimed at DIYers ... then it should be spelled out ... in simple terms ...weather it is about banning them.
All the best...mark

be
No
anyway
..
what
It is a new(ish) addition to the electrical regulations effectively preventing you from making additions or alterations to your own domestic wiring. If you 'just do it' then at the time you sell your house you may well have certification problems. To make it additionally difficult, new 'harmonised' wiring colours have been introduced to make it more obvious that changes have been made.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

thankyou andrew but there is still nothing stopping you saying that the wiring etc ...was done before this new law came in.
unless its in a new extention .
signing petition now
still think the author should reword it ...so every one understands
all the best.mark

....but only if you can get cable that isn't to the new spec and dated. Otherwise its a bit of a giveaway.
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

so what youre saying is we all should get a good stock in of the old red and black.
like so
100 mts of 2.5
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100meter-2-5mm-Twin-and-earth-cable-red-and-black_W0QQitemZ110082215830QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4667QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110082215830
100 mts of this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIRELLI-1MM-TWIN-EARTH-WHITE-SLEEVED-CABLE-DRUM_W0QQitemZ220072424167QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4667QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220072424167
and so on ... are the sockets marked in some way .
All the best.mark

I couldn't possibly comment <G>

Dunno.
Regards, Tony
On or around Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:00:49 +0000, Tony Jeffree

I've got a big reel of 2.5 T&E in the shed, as it happens.
"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent.
mark wrote:

Or red and black heatshrink tubing ;)