Photoessay on moving a Bridgeport uploaded to the dropbox

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport mill last October. It adds to the excellent one that Richard Kinch did when he moved his. We had quite a discussion regarding what was safe and what wasn't, with some disagreements among some who had done it different ways.

Topics covered. A photo essay describing the equipment needed to move a Bridgeport milling machine, One safe way of strapping the machine onto a trailer How to lift it off the trailer HOW TO GET A WIDE TABLE THROUGH A NARROW DOOR Photos from the web of other people's moving experiences.

I uploaded the files Saturday AM, so I don't know when they'll actually appear.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Nice work moving the machine.

One thing that you might have done is to put a piece of plywood in the trailer under the machine. Metal on metal slides easy, wood on metal is much less slippery. This also goes for carrying a machine on a forklift. I saw someone drop a keyseater last week because he had the thing directly on the forks and then hit a bump.

John

Reply to
john

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:33:32 -0400, the infamous GeoLane at PTD dot NET scrawled the following:

The URL was broken so I fixed it.

Well done, sir.

It's up now, 2:31PDT.

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very nice. The driveway where this was loaded looks like gravel, if it was I really don't understand why that Hyster didn't bury itself.

Reply to
jeff

Well done, and documented.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Very nice writeup. Now you know that everything is portable.

Ignoramus17055

Might have been covered with something like Afton stone. We laid Afton stone on our dirt areas where I worked and after a bit of rain and driving over, it made a surface hard enough for lift trucks to operate on.

Wes

Wes

I like how you use a piece of plywood to get the bp over your threshold without damaging it. I'll keep that in memory since my bp is on the other side of a 36" door that wasn't there when I moved the bp in.

Wes

Reply to
Wes