Pinch valve nomenclature

What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It's mentioned in several patents, but I don't see an accepted technical name:

it's in some specification for manufacturing them. "Basketball-type needle inflator valve" would be the best description I could give, but maybe someone else can do better.

Reply to
Denis G.

hey, sorry for intruding on your thread. i don't know. but your question gave me enough info to look up "pinch valve". i saw a "check valve" on a storm drain down by a river near me, i'd never seen one of 'em before, i had to go down there and check it out, an impressive hunk of rubber. it stands about 5 feet tall. clever.

William Wixon

"Duckbill" valve, for the weed wacker gas tank anyway.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

oh, i just remembered, i saw (tiny) one of them on a weed wacker gas cap. was a vent valve, at that time i thought that was pretty clever too. i wonder if like a parts diagram for a weed wacker gas tank might have a name for it.

Reply to
William Wixon

The pinch valves we used routinely for slurries, etc. were Red Valves. Used an analog air signal to progressively close. These were invaluable in slurry or sludge service. Also called sphincter valve and you can guess the other names. Here's a link:

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I think I would call it a PITA to clean.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Agreed, that was my criticism.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch
37someconundrum@216.196.97.131...

Careful! That is the name of our cat!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 07:44:03 -0800 (PST), the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com" scrawled the following:

messagenews:Xns9CFA8E10B3437someconundrum@216.196.97.131...

Named after the bread or the acronym, Paul? I'm guessing the latter, knowing cats as well as I do.

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Those rubber valves are often used in the food industry as non-return valveson piston pumps for depositors.They are easily cleaned and seldom cause any problem. When they do, you just throw them away and put in another one. We called them "Duck's bill "valves from their shape.

Reply to
Grumpy

messagenews:Xns9CFA8E10B3437someconundrum@216.196.97.131...

I have a cousin who named one of his cats Damnit. ("Get off the table, Damnit!")

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor