Unsuccessful Lock Picking

Hi, everyone,

I'm trying to get into the utility closet in my new town home but it is locked and the previous owner didn't leave me a key. I do not know and cannot tell when type of locking door handle this is. I bought a lock picking kit and have been playing with it with marginal success.

I have been able to pick the lock and get the plug to turn clockwise. Unfortunately, this is the "locking" direction so after about a 90 degree turn the plug won't turn any more, the latch is still extended, and the handle won't turn. As I attempt to turn the plug back in the other direction, the pins pop back into position once the key hole is upright again. I suppose this is to be expected.

The reason why I've successfully turn the plug clockwise several times has to do with the friction I am able to apply to the pins with my tension wrench in that direction. When I turn the plug in a counter-clockwise direction, though, there is no play in the plug. And it appears that I'm not getting any friction on the pins.

Does anyone know what's going wrong here? I know that usually applying torque in one direction will make the pins set back-to-front and the other direction will make them set front-to-back, but I'm not seeing that happen here. I'm simply not seeing any of the pins set when I apply torque in a counter-clockwise direction. Is there some trick that I'm missing?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Brady Drummonds

If you can pick something in the locking direction there is a tool called a plug spinner which spins the plug the other way fast enough that it does not relock. I suggest you aquire or make one (not hard). You will not be able to spin it fast enough by hand so don't waste time trying. That's about all the help I can give you here.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I may get blasted for my reply to this at all since generally picking and lock defeat methodology are not discussed here very openly. I will tell you some things without going into areas that should bring down the wrath of the other locksmiths here.

You bought a picking kit, so you have obviously decided that you are interested in doing this yourself, instead of paying someone (which might not have cost much more than the picking kit) Since you like purchasing locksmithing tools, I might suggest that your next tool be a plug-spinner. It is used to turn the plug in the opposite direction from which you picked it. Useful for when a lock picks in one direction and not the other. There is also a trick with a rubber band, but I will not explain that one much further here.

As for the picking process, the concept works because the shell and plug are not perfect. You are picking by exploiting these imperfections. It is true that if the imperfections are such that the pins bind front to back one direction logic says that they would bind back to front in the opposite. However, in my experience I am yet to have a cylinder bind either front to back or back to front as it is usually one in the middle somewhere then fore or aft of there etc.

I would guess since you talk of friction that you are applying too much pressure with the tension wrench.

Use less tension and pick it in the correct direction. Keep at it and have patience. If all else fails get the plug spinner.

Something else to keep in mind, is since you say it is a utility closet, can you see the hinge pins?

Worse comes to worse, call a locksmith you can try

to find one near you, or of course you can let your fingers do the walking.

-- Absinthe

Reply to
Absinthe

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

First, thanks to EVERYONE for the replies. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to keep on trying to pick in the right direction for a while. I may go after a plug spinner after that.

That aside, let me respond to some comments below:

You're damn close on this one. The set cost almost as much as hiring someone. But, hey, the challenge is half the fun, right?

Yes I can!!! However, I have not been able to remove the hinge pins. I don't know too much about hinges, but I'm guessing that they are some kind of "security" hinge where the pin can't be tapped out. I've taken a hammer and a screwdriver and banged the hell out of the things. No such luck...

But, who knows? The previous owner lived here for five years and told me that he never once opened that door. Maybe that hinge pin is rusted in place. I hope not. On the positive side, maybe there is some booty behind that door. That's what keeps me motivated. :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brady Drummonds

That's a good point. Keep in mind that the tension wrench may not be strong enough to throw the bolt. Use a screwdriver or other tool in the keyway once you have it picked over.

The Best is really very hard unless you use the control shear wrench. You will always set some pins to the wrong shear otherwise. It is not especially easy even with the right tool. Some conventional locks just don't pick in one direction but pick easily in the other. To the OP get or make a plug spinner. Just imagine a device the business end of which will fit in the keyway which can be wound up and then released, spring, rubber band, many configurations are possible.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

You do also learn a skill, where as calling someone to solve your problem will leave you in the same situation next time.

If you can access the lower portion of the hinge directly under the bottom of the pin try a punch. You will be surprised how much better it will work than a screwdriver.

A security hinge would be somewhat unusual in a residential application, but possible. Is this an outside utility closet like many townhouses have? You may want to look closely at the entire mechanism and see if picking is the easiest method. There may be another much easier way. With most of them I have dealt with there is.

If you haven't already you might want to try your front door key(s). It is common for utility closets to be keyed alike.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Rytan tool company sales a nice plug spinner for about 25 bucks US. You can make one. Think deep cut key blank and rubber band. I think it's all in the group FAQ. I'd start there if you need more info.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Yes. You need a "plug spinner" to rotate the plug quickly past the center (shear line) while inertia keeps the top pins in place.

Picking depends on small imperfections in the lock. The imperfections in one direction may be different or worse than the other. Your skill and ability may just need more practice.

You can buy a commercial plug spinner, or make one, or improvise. The improvising almost takes three hands. You'll need your turning tool, a rubber band, a small screwdriver, and a thumb tack or pushpin. (Some of the professionals recommend a hair dryer, but I haven't had much luck with that technique.)

The idea is to stick the thumbtack in the door as an anchor for one end of the rubber band and hook the other end around the handle of your turning tool such that the rubber band will snap the turning tool and the plug over-center in the "right" direction.

Pick the lock. While holding it picked with the screwdriver, insert the turning tool and stretch the rubber band from the handle of the tool to the pushpin or thumbtack. Then remove the screwdrivet and hopefully the lock will snap over to the picked position. Your turning tool will likely go flying.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

Depending on the brand of lock, look around the small part of the handle for a small hole, and peek inside and see if you see what appears to be a rectangular piece. If you do, when you have it picked, poke that and pull the knob/cylinder off, then you should be able to figure it out from there ;-) If you dont have that kind, keep practicing picking in the other direction, or get a plug spinner, or drill out the lock and replace it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Speaking only for myself, my policy is that I don't teach picking techniques unless I've personally known the person for two years.

You can find many forums on the web, but that's out of my control.

When I was new at locksmithing, I was completely fascinated by picking. Now, after 20+ years in the trade, it's an important part of the job, but not totally fascinating. There is so much more to the job.

The reasons I don't teach picking are several.

1) There is no way to know who is the person asking. Most people asking (or lurking and reading the posts) are decent people, but a few are not. So, I've decided simply not to say anything to anyone.

2) Picking locks is a "trade secret" like many other trades which have their techniques and systems.

3) A very small part of the security of locks is that so few people know how to pick them. So, by teaching lock picking, I make all locks less secure for the world. Not what I want to do.

4) Purely selfishly, I learned lock picking the hard way, with lots of practice, and you can do the same.

I wish you well. Hope this doesn't sound unkind, but the world isn't a nice place sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This happened to me when the lock on my motorcycle gas tank would not turn with the key. The only way I could get it open was to pick the lock and use a screwdriver and wrench to turn the cylinder. Once open I was able to get in there and clean it out, but before cranking it with a wrench I was sure I was turning in the right direction.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon