Ping LennieTheLurker

Lennie,

I got an email that says it's from you. It has an image and a zip file attached. Did you send it? It's not gonna be opened unless you did.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If its a 40kb file..dump it. Or set your virus checker to check inside of a zip file.

"Lennie got infected , Lennie got infected, yadeedadeeda!"

He probably got it from one of those young boys down at the internet cafe......chortle

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I suppose that means that you aren't aware of the fact that a significant number of virii simply pick two addresses from the infected computers Outlook addressbook and use one for the "From" and another for the recipient...

Reply to
Jim Levie

See my other post. Of course I do. Duh. But how often can I make a double intentre about not only viri but Lennie the Loonie? Its quite possible one of those young boys (script kiddies) wrote the virus and turned it loose.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Not from me, I haven't sent an email to anyone for a few weeks now.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I got the same thing from my sister-in-law's computer. She hadn't sent me any email either, but some virus, worm or whatever had sent out the zip file with a password in the message content. I was in her address book on outlook express along with some others who got the same thing. You may well be infected with this thing Lennie.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Went through that a few weeks ago with my ISP, they got a complaint from ??, said my real addy had a virus. Quick look at Symantec gave me the file name to look for, not there, nor did Nortons or any of the "on line" anti virus sites find it. The ones that "Send" it or it's addressed to aren't the ones that have the virus, it's another computer that has the email address in it, and I'm beginning to wonder if something isn't scanning the NGs to harvest addresses to use as "sender" and addressee. (Also updated Nortons and scanned this morning, nothing found.)

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

If some of the spam I'm getting is any indicator, that's exactly what's happening. I've received spam from me to me on more than one occasion. I not only do not send spam to others, nor would I have any reason to do so, but I sure as hell wouldn't be sending it to myself.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Spamers do harvest addresses from newsgroups.

They also harvest them from infected machines -- so if someone who reads the newsgroup gets infected, the list of people whose articles they have read will start getting spam or virii, depending on the particular use of the infected machine.

And spamers will forge the same address into the "From: " as well as the "To: " to attempt to get past filters. They will also make bogus usernames with the same domain as the victim, on the principle that it is more likely to be interpreted as being a fellow employee, and thus read.

That happens to be one of my filter settings -- to reject messages which appear to be from me, coming from outside.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Our newly elected federal government has promised to outlaw spam, now if our southern neighbours will take up the same torch in this fall's BS contest, something MIGHT happen (but I'm still taking a breath every few seconds) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Something like 60 percent comes from asia these days and the rest probably comes from hijacked computers. I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix.

Reply to
Jim Stewart
[ ... ]

Hmm ... most of what *I* see is from hijacked computers, but then I block e-mail from most of Asia. :-)

And while it might come to your system from such locations, it

*originates* mostly from spammers in the US. So -- if the laws were right, and were properly enforced, we should see an end to most of it.

Oh yes -- there is the stuff in Spanish which I used to get from Argentina, and other countries in the area -- plus that in Portugese from Brazil -- but those have joined Asia in my personal blocklists. :-)

Now -- if they would simply declare open season on them -- or even better, offer a bounty -- *that* might solve the problem once and for all.

And usenet spam was *started* by a pair of lawyers. :-(

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols