PING: Norman Grant

Your expression "chafing" runout means very little to me. Further, you

> seem to assume that your spindle bearings are the source of your runout. > Many little drill presses have low quality chucks which themselves can > easily have 1/32" of runout. If your chuck can be removed from the spindle, > then try directly indicating the spindle with a dial test indicator. If its > runout is below .002 TIR then the problem is the chuck. > You can buy multi-step pulleys at McMaster-Carr but those are die-cast > zinc pulleys and they have a lot of runout. I have given up on buying step > pulleys and now turn my own on a lathe. There is a HUGE difference in the > vibration of a machine if you have a good belt and pulleys that run true. > Anyway, most small DPs vibrate like crazy anyway so if you don't care just > order from
and be done with it. The pulleys should > be aligned so their axes are parallel and they are at the same height. It > isn't that uncommon to add a jackshaft to a DP. I suggest you go look at > a new one on a showroom floor to see how they do it.

It is a cheapy Chinese mini DP, $40 at the Homier traveling tool show. Something like

4 1/2" center-to-column and with a 4 speed set of pulleys on top. Very standard and low- end, can't lock the quill in place. The motor is 1700 rpm (not 1725). Works well but the lowest speed has this tacky chafing sound first time I ran it, so, must be some runout.

I imagine one could place a larger single gulley wheel on the front spindle, or something like that...? I know a variable speed DC motor and control board would be really expensive, after all the searching I've done. Doing a jack shaft is too much for me.

Slow for a spinning wheel strop with leather on top of the disc. Used for honing wood- working chisels and handplane blades. Don't want the steel to turn blue because it's too fast.

I have had the arbor made with threading, and the wooden discs are glued up but it's not finished quite yet. All that should make more sense.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK