planetary gear terminology

Epicyclic gearing. Planetary gearing. The same thing. Does the -epi- prefix mean -on-? Such as on a circle? Or on a cycle? Or does it mean

-around- ? Enquiring mind wants ta know. I don't have a good dictonary here at the shop or on my computer. Thank You, Eric R Snow, Who lives on a planet, which makes me a planetary being, which also makes me an epicyclic being too, right?

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I don't know if it means on or around, but here is a cool animation:

Epicyclic gearing. Planetary gearing. The same thing. Does the -epi-

Reply to
Steve Smith

jtaylor

ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Epi - upon. Some uses may have a more restrictive meaning but going back to the old Greek...

bob g.

Eric R Snow wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway