please ID this drill bit

I rather short 5/16" HSS twist drill bit that has a 1/4" shank with a flat notch cut into the shank so that a set screw can secure it.

I would like to get more sizes than just 5/16 but I don't know what this type of bit is called.

The box it came in says Greenfield Industries (now KennaMetal) and I looked in their online catalogs but couldn't find any matches.

Anyone know where I can find more bits like this?

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

Sorry, the first sentence should read "I have a rather...".

Reply to
zeb7k

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1168922529.381939.302290 @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It sounds like a pilot bit for a hole saw: the flat is to be engaged by a set screw in the mandrel.

Reply to
RAM³

Or an old bit used in a pot chuck like on a post drill, those are usually 1/2" shank tho ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
woodworker88

If you can't find them, make them.

Bigger bits (assuming you NEED the 1/4 shank) turn &/or gind then shank.

Smaller bits sleeve and then as above.

If all you need is a set-screw flat then look around; three-flat drillbits are not uncommon.

Reply to
jtaylor

It sounds like thepilot bit for a set of Greenlee punches.

Reply to
Robert Swinney