Powdercoating of vises

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and sandblasting of course?

Reply to
Ignoramus29659

Suitable is in the eye of the beholder!

Reply to
RJ

Grab a powder coating kit from HF or Eastwood and play with it? --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Suitable, a little extreme, perhaps, but it's your money...if powder coat is what floats your boat, anchors aweigh.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

I wouldn't, Iggy. Powdercoating is flammable and the fumes are toxic.

I've heard rumors of some folks using their bench vise and torch to to heat bend steel. Gasses liberated from burning powdercoat can mess up your olfactory glands for *months*. I know that from personal, first hand experience.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It would work very well and it is less expensive than paint. I did the bench and chip tray on my 13x40 lathe 5 years ago and it is severely abused with sharp, hot chips and all kinds of solvents and oils. It is still perfect. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

sure...but WHY?????

Its a tool that gets beat on, bashed on, heavy stuff get put on and in it, it gets toasted with a torch and so forth.

If you were doing a layout for RCM shop of the month,...and I had a vote..Id downgrade anyone who powdercoated a vise, a hammer, etc etc

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner, Cuz it's a hobby place not a real workshop................. of course! Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

To me tools that show honest wear suggest an experienced craftsman, ones with a perfect finish imply a beginner, a tool museum, or someone making delicate parts for a clean room.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

One that is only looked at and never used?

in a year he will be cursing the ugly slug of shit with all the chipped powder coat.

if it had been paint..you simply get out the rattle can and give her another lick.

shrug

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:35:20 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Could also be that he's gong to be practicing powder coating, so he can do the "touch-ups" himself.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Cost less than the non-powdercoated, and who cares? Not like what it looks like matters.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Not to you., maybe. But if he wants to paint it pea green and tie a pale blue ribbon around it - well, it is his money, and he is the one who has to look at it.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Powder coat some vices?

Ok... hey really only drinks on days that end in Y.

Or how about.

His drug addiction isn't so bad. When he gets totally wasted he quits stealing from his neighbors for a while.

Oh wait you said powder coat not sugar coat. My bad.

Reply to
Bob La Londe