Powered trailer Jacks

I have a heavy gooseneck flatbed trailer with dual 12K Jacks in the front. When I park the trailer in the barn, the crank is next to the wall making it hard to access and turn. I could rig it so the crank is on the other side (or build a bigger barn) but I'd like to have the jacks powered. I have batteries on the trailer to power a winch (for loading) and hydraulics(for tilt), so power is not a problem.

I did a search and came up with H&H Powerheads, but they did not answer the phone and there is not much info on the website.

I was thinking of rigging a 12V winch, replacing the drum with a sprocket or a cogged belt to a mating pulley on the shaft between the two jacks. Most winches come with forward and reverse switches and a mechanical disconnect to allow freewheeling.

Rigging a motor and speed reducer would require some kind of clutch to disconnect when using by hand, that is why I thought of the winch. It has it built in.

Any other suggentions/ideas or something I have overlooked?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bonza

You have hydraulics, I'd use rams for the jacks.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

How 'bout a small hydraulic motor replacing the crank? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

How about replacing the crank with a hex nut that is welded on. Then using a husky drill motor to do the cranking. When needed you could use a ratchet wrench or lug wrench in place of the drill motor.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Dan, That might work out well. I'll look into it.

Thanks for all of your comments,

Bob

Reply to
Bonza

Unless your existing lifts have a really high reduction ratio, a drill will not have the torque to do the job. Build a stub end to go on the shaft where the crank handle slips on and try it out. I have a friend who has a 26' 5th wheel enclosed car trailer with a center lift. We got tired of the external crank and found a 35:1 jack screw that we mounted. One of the old large Craftsman 1/2 drills would really grunt to lift the trailer, and be almost too hot to hold when done. We mounted 12" flywheels and 2 chebbyy starter motors (one to go up, one to go down)to turn the jack screw drive. Works like a charm, can't hardly tell when it finally starts to lift the trailer. It's a little slow, about 90 seconds to run it full stroke which is 16 inches or so.

I like the hydraulic soluti>

Reply to
nic