Pratt & Whitney Benchtop mill info needed

Hello all,

Does anyone have any information on an old Pratt & Whitney Benchtop mill. I believe it is designated #3 with the seperate and some what goofy looking transmission. Also if someone has a Pratt & Whitney dividing/indexing head that would fit this mill that they would be willing to part with I would also be interested.

Thanks in advance, Vince Belansky

Reply to
VINCENT BELANSKY

Tony's machine tool archive site has a section on those. I have a similar pratt & whitney bench lathe. I think they use nearly the same headstock. Mine takes 3AT collets right in the spindle.

Jim

jim rozen

Vince, If you're lucky enough to find a P&W dividing head, I do have some extra P&W #4 collets (or Hardinge 4pn) collets that fit it. I would be willing to part with them at a reasonable price, or trade for some of the other attachments that go with the dividing head.

It's a great dividing head. It's the smallest truly universal dividing head I've seen. So, you can hook it up with change gears to the table drive to do helical milling. Center height is about 4 inches.

bbfmetalworking

Reply to
BBFMETALWORKING

No data but Reliable Tools had one, earlier in the week when I was in there. It had the vertical head mounted, with a horizontal mill arbor and other bits and pieces. Looked pretty clean and complete. Cant say if it was a #3, but it was about the size of the little Burkes. Actually kinda nice.

I was paying more attention to the #2 Cinci horizontal miller. Full power in every direction. Droool....

Gunner

"No man shall be debarred the use of arms. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes, produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks, You didn't happen to see a price did you? What city is Reliable Tool located?

Reply to
VINCENT BELANSKY

No, didnt see a price, and it had an Ebay sticker on it, with the dated December 3, so I dont know if that was the ending date or? You could check completed auctions....

Reliable Tools is located in Irwindale, California, about a mile or so south of the 210 freeway, on Arrow Hiway, between Irwindale Blvd and Azuza Ave.

They are well known on Ebay and are a very good business to deal with. I do a lot of walk in business with them, and as I pass the place several times a week, a number of my customers have me pick up items they have won, or need to purchase from their store front.

Here is a link to a current auction that Im watching, so you can use the seller info to look for the mill, or simply call them

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner the P & W #3 at Reliable Tools, is that the one that is on a wood table with all kinds of accesorises? I thought that was sold a while back on Ebay. I lost the bid on that at an auction in Whittier came from a small shop, one owner and in great condition.

I sure wished I would have got it, all the other stuff I bought from that shop was in great condition.

Otto

Reply to
sam

Thats the one. Big long table with the mill at one end. It may have been sold..but its still in the building as of last Tuesday.