Cinncinnati Mill info wanted

Hi Just bought a used mill a Cincinnati Tool master. I guess I could not get really lucky and someone still have one with some documentation but if you do I would love to get a copy someway. I believe from the motor it is a three phase unit taking either 230 or

460 Vac. I also believe that it is probably a 2-hp motor. This leads to my first question I have and that is for something like this is the rotary converters better or the electronics version. I also presume it would be better to get a larger unit so that I can use it with other three phase items. I am hoping that this mill will suffice for a little while for my start-up metal-working hobby. The ways seem to be in decent shape. The handles seem to have the most damage and I think I will try to cast some new ones. I guess before try to figure out how to run it I might as well try to clean it up some. I was think about using gunk (like the car motor version) to do this. It is basically covered with oil(lub from milling I presume). It is currently just outside the front door where they unloaded it so it seems to be a good time to clean it. Any surprises I should look out for or expect. Thanks for any and all help. If necessary or asked to I will try to post pics to help.
Reply to
spamkill at charter dot net

Correct. Nice! mill btw.

This leads

In reasonable shape..it will do fine. More rigid than a BP too.

Ill let others fight about the RPC vrs VFD.

Personally..Id put a single VFD on it..but thats just me.

The ways seem to

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Similar sized mill 9 x 42, but it's a MaxMill. Any thoughts about that brand? It seems that they are still in business, but it looks like all CNC stuff now. Kind of wondering about parts and manuals availability.

There's one a few miles away from me I could pick up for $1,200 with quite a bit of tooling. I believe it's an early '70's vintage, low useage, and everything checks out pretty damn good. Needs a good cleaning from sitting (inside) for th' past 10 years.

You have any experience with those, Gunner?

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

Thanks for the reply. I was confused because the label on the back of the mill listed 110 and 230 3-phase but the motor on top said 230 -

460 3 phase. I would tend to believe the motor since it may have been replaced.
Reply to
spamkill at charter dot net

MaxMills are decent Taiwanese mills Some were made in Spain IRRC, but most in Taiwan. About like a BP of which most were clones.

You should be happy with it.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed. Many machines of this type were modified for export buyers specs. So occasionally you will find odd markings. Trust the motor data plate.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks. It's not what I really wanted, but... it's better than what I have now (nothing). Plus th' seller has a forklift and trailer to load/unload it for me. I'm having a hard time finding any reason

*not* to buy it.

If anyone has any horror stories about this one, I'd like to hear about it tho.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

Toolmaster is a good rigid mill. Square saddle ways on mine which is an early one with step-pulley head and power down feed. No power to the table which is a nice compact 36" length. Perfect size for my Cincinnati 16" power-capable rotary table which gets lots of use. Very nice machine if in good condition. Consider yourself blessed to have one! The later variable speed heads look very complicated to a novice mechanic such as myself. Health, Peace Honest Al Babin K-MArt cashier Bristol Conn store

Reply to
Honest A Babin