Perforated Stainless Steel Strap

I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

-- Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Schultz

I've hammered flat and drilled scraps of thin-wall tubing to improvise this sort of thing. Ugly but effective.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You might check with a plumbing supply house -- I've got to think *somebody* makes SS pipe strap.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In rec.boats.cruising Doug Miller wrote: :In article , Geoff Schultz wrote: :>I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using :>soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking :>for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches :>haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

:You might check with a plumbing supply house -- I've got to think *somebody* :makes SS pipe strap.

McMaster sells 302 stainless strapping. It's not perforated, though. Page 1492 of the online catalog.

David Scheidt

IF its stainless have your wallet filled up.

John

Reply to
john

"Wrap lok"sp comes in ss although it is not perforated. I believe it is not too $$ for stainless.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Hey Geoff,

Can't help with the SS, but plumbers tape does come in copper, and in galvanized. Also comes in various gauges of material.

And of course gear-clamps (hose clamps?) come in SS and FULL stainless.

Brian Laws>I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Two products come quickly to mind.

1) SS Band-it strap. Make your own holes. (good excuse to buy a Whitney punch) You will probably have to buy a whole roll, but it will last you a lifetime! Available at commercial hardwares and (naturally) on the Internet. If you go ahead and buy the tool and some buckles, you will find many uses around a boat. Band-it tools & supplies are (or were) common in Navy damage control kits. 2) SS tie wraps made for the communications industry.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

There are kits of 1/2" wide stainless steel 'hose' straps that are 20' or so in length. So it doesn't have round holes - slotted holes are perforated.

I bought mine from MSCdirect.com

Another is to plasma cut a bunch of holes then the strip.

Martin

Mart> Geoff Schultz writes:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

john wrote in news:H4ydnRrerPUeMAPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@nni.com:

I've found unperforated SS strapping at reasonable prices, but I was hoping to find perforated. I suppose that I could use unperforated.

-- Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Schultz

Buy the unperfed strap, use a hand punch to add the holes,

$18 plus there is a 15% off coupon in the current sale flyer.

McMaster has a heavy duty version for around $50 or so

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

And then get a smaller punch and punch the punchings, and you've got a nice supply of washers! :-)

Reply to
KLC Lewis

Easier to turn unperfed into perfed than to turn mild steel into stainless.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Go here:

On the left type in: straps

On the page that appears on the left click on: perforated steel straps

On the page which appears on the right scroll down to: flexible straps

There you will see stainless straps, both perforated and solid.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

rigger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the pointer. That was just what I was looking for!

-- Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Schultz

On my last boat we used 1" and 2" nylon webbing. Very kind to the soft exhaust hoses and easy to install. Just heat an awl to melt a hole for a screw where you want it. Wrap the webbing 1 turn around the hose so the hose can't move fore/aft. Never a chafe problem

Evan Gatehouse

Reply to
Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse wrote in news:ZACqi.10404 $_d2.2086@pd7urf3no: