Price Check Please- Southbend Heavy 10

I'm looking for a price value folks-

A local blacksmith has a Southbend "Heavy 10" for sale. The ways look good, I didn't havre a chance to run a dial indicator on them but they don't "look" worn. There is some light surface rust but nothing too serious.

The only apparent problem is the the cross slide has some nasty backlash, appears to be the screw is worn as it dissappeers near the travel ends.

The unit comes with one 6" 3 jaw head, face plate & some misscellaneous tool & cutters.

He asking $1800 Bucks Canuck , thats about $1500 US.

So, worth it ior not?

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Howard,

That's really not enough info to tell what it's worth, generally, but, if you've got $1800, and you want it, it's probably worth it. You could get a lot less for more money.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Sounds a little high for the problem with the cross slide. I see machines in that condition going for $300-$400. it's a PITA to fix them up and if your time is worth anything it should be discounted. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Reply to
RoyJ

The tooling is a bit light for that price, go to the miller machine site and price out a new crossfeed screw and nut. The try to get him to deduct that cost from the sale price.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Hey Howard,

Where is it? Well, just lemme know if you d>I'm looking for a price value folks-

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Just to put this situation in perspective I have an older (hair pin leg and single tumbler gearbox) SBL heavy ten for sale. It comes with 3J,

4J, 5C lever collet closer about 15-5C collets, faceplate, threaded nose protector, wrenches, micrometer carriage stop, etc. Priced at $1250 in SoCal. Condition is very good!! Leigh at MarMachine
Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

That is a very, very good price, especially with the lever closer.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen