protecting small OD tubing

I am making a few trinkets that use 5/64 (.078) OD .006 wall brass tubing. I bought the tubing and the bender from K&S.. the people who seem to make every size of thin wall tubing known to man. The design dictates such a thin wall, so that cannot change, so I am looking for ways to protect this tubing. I have to bend it aout 20 degrees, so I noticed that aside from just bending the tubing, the coil style tubing bender... link:

would do a great job protecting the tubing also.. So... instead of buying a bunch of tubing bender kits, just for this one size... I am now looking for a vendor who may sell some this coil type stuff that would fit my 5/64 OD tubing. I have about 20 short lengths of tubing to protect, so I need at least several feet of it.

After 20 minutes of googling every wording I could think of, I thought maybe someone here would know what that stuff is called???

thanks!

Reply to
rbce2003

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you simply need to protect the tubing from crimping while you bend it or do you need to protect the bend forever, leaving the "spring" in place after you do the bending?

The basic stuff seems to be just expansion (or extension) spring material. You should be able to find it without too much trouble. I googled "exansion spring" and got 35,000 hits.

We used to use springs like this as drive belts for motion picture projector reel drives. Recently I found a site that sells them, although I don't know if they'd have the size you need:

I did see one that has an OD of 1/8". What are the chances that it woulld be right for your application?

I googled "projector spring" to get back to that site, but I wouldn't spend too much time there, beyond the site above.

Pete Stanaitis

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Try tubing bender +spring

But I don;t believe you will find it in less then 1/4".

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct email address for reply)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok