Puncture through sheet metal for tapping

--Actually there are two different style bits: one that produces the flange and one that cuts it off. Mostly I prefer to keep the flange on as it means no material removal and therefore less weakening of the part.

Reply to
steamer

Nice ! McMaster-Carr are on the wrong side of the pond for me but I'll have to ask my supplier if they have anything like that. Thanks.

Reply to
Andre Majorel

And one more wrinkle no-one has mentioned yet: you can get self- tapping screws that use a roll-form tip rather than a tap cutting tip. I don't know how much $$$, though.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

The common hardware store ones are like type AB.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins