Quality Of Benchtop English Wheels

I would like to start playing around with sheetmetal as a hobby. In all my reading I believe an English Wheel would be good to have. Any comments about the quality about the benchtop type and their ability to do good work? Also any recommendations of a particular brand. I would like to start small and learn before I would spring for a full model.

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP

Barry, lots of info on the metalshaper and metalshaping group on yahoo, also more info at

and
i would think if you know what you want to build(how big panels) that should be your guide, if you have a 24" deep throat you can make 48" wide panels(give or take a 1/2" or so) thats a fairly good size pc. larger wheels do have some nice features like large wheel/anvils

good luck with your project

tt

Reply to
Terry Thorne

Might as well buy the plans for the larger size that you want. Can't have enough throat for working big pieces. The only difference in cost between a bench sized wheel and a floor mount, is the raw stock for the frame. Carefull scrounging and it won't be much of a difference. It will cost the same to make the wheel sets.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig