Question About LawnBoy Deck

I have an old Lawn Boy pushmower electric. It is about worn out and only runs on one half of the blades (got 2 blades and 2 motors underneath).

The deck appears to be...aluminum or magnesium. Before I throw it away, I wonder: how can I tell if it is aluminum or magnesium?

Reply to
TonishaWallace

Most mag Lawn-Boy decks have "Magnesium" cast into it somewhere. They also tend to pit very heavily. LB stopped using mag decks at some point in the '70s.

There are lots of Lawn-Boy fanatics out there. Put it up on eBay for local pickup, never know who'll bid.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Most cast lawnmower bodies I've come across are Magnesium. Just break off a sample of it with a boltcutter and try to melt it with a torch. Most I've seen will just burn. Also, it's going for about 20cents per pound right now. No good for casting, or selling.

Or, just pour some vinegar on it. If it bubbles, it;s probably magnesium.

Bout the only purpose is to make some mag-alum alloy, which is harder than aluminum, but I *think* that it is also more prone to corrosion.

Reply to
Marvin