Question about small 7 x 10 lathes

I am curious if there are any clubs for home and hobbyists machinists
in the Fort Lauderdale Florida area? This may sound like a silly
question but I am planing to buy one of those 7 x 12 lathes for my
wife for something she does. She now uses one of my larger lathes, but
I would like to set her up a little work space in the house just for
herself. The problem is, since I have been doing machining, I build
poolcues, I have never even seen one of these little lathes up close.
They only seem to be in catalogs or now on line, I wish I could just
walk into a store and check one out. I would like to actually see one
in action and see how it works. I don't know if it is out of line to
ask, but if anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area has one they would like
to demonstrate or even sell, I would be interested. I would just not
want to go to the trouble of buying one mail order, only to have her
not be happy with it. I would say one of them can certainly do the
work she wants it to do, but if it is a hassle in any way she may not
be happy. From looking, everything just seems so small on those
lathes, I would like to see how it is to actually operate one. I have
the idea she may be a little spoiled using my machines. If someone can
help me out you can just e-mail me. Thanks.
Reply to
Cuezilla
I bet if you post to this group:
or some of the other resources on this web site:
You'll find some nice guys near you who'd accept a visit from you and your wife.
Chip makers tend to be nice folks.
Jeff (Still is Sox Shock...)
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Cuezilla; If you get you north, by Deltona you can try mine. They are small, but for small jobs in small spaces they work just fine. I have my 7 x 10 on one side of my 8' x 10' shed and the mini mill on the other. But remember, they are a work in progress. gary
Reply to
Gary Owens