help making a strap belt

I have my 9" lathe ready to, all I need is the strap belt to drive it. Whats for this, I called a place in town but they want $200.00 for a 36" belt. Any help would be great.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Buy the leather belting from McMaster Carr. Single ply, I think the 9" machines uses 3/4 or 7/8 belt. Then either get the clipper links, lace it, or glue it.

Jim

jim rozen

This company was highly recommended at a recent meeting of the New England Model Engineering Society.

Hudson Belting & Service Co., Inc. P.O. Box 1052 Worcester, MA 01613 1052 USA Tel: 508-756-0090 Fax: 508-753-6844 Or call: 800-640-8807

Fellows who have used their services say they can make up or supply material for making up just about any sort of belt you can think of.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

I'd write to Scott Logan too. I seem to recall he has leather for the Logan's, and I assume that they would fit other lathes.

He may be off to California at the moment for the show in Visalia. Can't recall the dates for sure.

Take care.

Brian Laws>This company was highly recommended at a recent meeting of the New

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Some guy was selling new leather belts for South Bend lathes on ebay, they were quite reasonable. He might have something that would fit your lathe.

Reply to
ATP

I bought a belt from

and was VERY happy with the service. My belt for my 9" South Bend underdrive belt is 61 inches long and John (the owner) charged me $40 including shipping and included the steel fingered connector and hinge. He mailed the belt to me as soon as I ordered it, and told me to just send him a check. The belt came in and it was exactly what I needed. If you have a 9" South Bend horizontal drive, the original belt was

53.5 inches long, .75" wide, and 9/64" thick. The underdrive model is the same width and thickness as the horizontal drive, but again, is 61 inches long..

Next time I need a belt, I think I'm going to order a belt blank from Tandy Leather

for about $11 and see if I can make it work. I'm not sure of the thickness of the blank though. I'll skive and glue that one. I figure it's worth a try.....

Good luck,

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

Wayne:

Visit your local auto parts store and buy a modern flat belt for an automobile of the correct length. You can run either side to the pulleys. You will have to lift the spindle to install the belt but it will be worth the trouoble. I have a small drill press that I converted to a flat belt.

JRW

Reply to
J.R. Williams

I did just that about 4 years ago and it has worked out just fine.

John

Reply to
John Hall

I know a couple guys using camshaft drive belts. The downsides are, a: you have to remove the spindle to install it, and b: you have to be gentle on the belt tensioner as there is pretty much no stretch to them.

I expect that a poly-v belt would work as well.

Some guys have glued leather into the inside surface, but the ones I know of are providing satisfactory service running with the round teeth of the belt against the pulleys. There is no noticeable noise except at top speeds, when a bit of noise can be heard if there is not anything else running in the shop.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones