Questions about shop made threading dial

I am going to make a threading dial for my Jet 1024. It seems pretty straight forward, but I want to do a sanity check and ask a couple of questions.

  1. My Logan 200 and the Jet have the same lead screw (8 tpi). I assume that this means I should use a 16 tooth dial gear, as that is what the Logan has.

  1. The lead screw looks like an Acme thread, could it be something else? If so, how would I figure out what it is?

  2. What is this kind of gear called? I.e., when I call Boston Gear, what should I say I need? Is "To fit an 8 tpi Acme thread sufficient"?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks for all the replies in this thread. I have finished my dial, after many distractions. Here is a picture:

I made the gear by hobbing a piece of plastic, unknown lineage. But it machined real nice - long smooth curls, very waxy in appearance. And strong (tensile). The threading dial that I copied had a spur gear, but I cut a worm wheel, to fit the worm lead screw. The tool I ground to cut the hob was not very precise, but it works. I "gashed" the gear on the lathe by using the feed gear train to step the spindle. I also hobbed the gear on the lathe with the hob between center and by making a blank holder to fit the lathe tool holder.

There is a spring under the head of the mounting SHCS. It supplies enough pressure to hold the gear against the screw, but allows the dial to be swung away.

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt