WTH: electrician/EE type in Dallas (Irving) area for milling machine power conversion

The short story is that I have a milling machine that is factory wired to run off of 220V 3 phase power, but is capable of being rewired to run off of single phase power. I
originally wired it up using a rotary phase converter, but the DC spindle amplifier keeps malfunctioning becuase it apparently does not like the artificially generated third phase of power.
I currently am waiting to see if anyone replies to my posted questions regarding this problem, but if no one does, then I will be looking to hire someone to come in and rewire it. It is probably not too difficult to do, but I want someone more competent in the area of electronics than myself to do it because I do not want to take the risk of rewiring it incorrectly - and then smelling smoke. Miswiring this machine is not an option! I contacted a technician who works with these machines in California, and he estimated three hours or less to complete the work.
I have all wiring diagrams and manuals here, and have gotten a good understanding of what needs to be done to the machine. Any recommendations and quotes will be appreciated. I am individual, (ie not a big comapny) and this machine is in my garage - so I am hoping to find someone who will give me a square deal quote on the work involved, and preferably be willing to meet me at my place in the evening. So a moonlighting electrician/electronics technician will be great, but I can make plans for a daytime meeting if necessary.
you can read my original post on this topic at:
Thanks for your help!
Mario
| The short story is that I have a milling machine that is factory wired to run off of 220V 3 phase | power, but is capable of being rewired to run off of single phase power. I originally wired it up | using a rotary phase converter, but the DC spindle amplifier keeps malfunctioning becuase it | apparently does not like the artificially generated third phase of power.
Have you tried "rotating" the three phase wiring? By moving A to B to C the motors will still rotate in the same direction but the electronics will see a better phase. If it runs the wrong way then you've reversed two phases. Between the two "good" phases is where you want the electronics to work off of, since I take it there's a power supply that comes off of it. It shouldn't be too hard to figure that one out.
Also check the running current in each leg. They should be reasonably equal while running under load. If there is a significant difference between legs when idling & under load, the converter is a static type and is probably not suitable for your application. Bugs
Most places will have an electric motor shop within a reasonable distance. Most of these folks do a real good job with this kind of thing and can test everything to make sure it is up to snuff. Look in the phone book under electric motor and you should find at least 4 or 5 in the Dallas area. They might even make house calls.
--

Roger Shoaf

run off of 220V 3 phase

I originally wired it up