Quicky Belt Change

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:20:27 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Speaking of procreating in the back of the little PsOS, I did like the fact that they provided ankle straps for her. And the tilting seats got out of the way for your feet. But I wish they'd padded the rear floor better.

I think their Thing config was the most true to character for the damned things.

And I'm still pissed at Nader for going after the USA-built Corvair, but not imported VW, which had the same rear axle config and end-swapping problems. And Corvairs weren't causing insurance companies nearly the money burning VWs were. RIP, Corvair. Burn in Hell, idiots who couldn't be trusted to maintain proper tire pressure.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wait a minute ... 39 miles in 17 min is 138 mph, average. My memory isn't what it used to be, either .

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 18 Oct 2009 03:21:04 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Had to pull an engine from a van for repairs it in a car port in Cairo, Egypt. The "fun" part was trying to get it back in. No floor jack. So instead of sticking the engine into the van, "stuck the van onto the engine." Stacked bricks, place engine, get helpers to push van 'back' while I aligned everything from underneath. I'm glad I knew what I was doing ... I think. I liked the VW Vans, for the most part. Fussy, but easy to maintain.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:20:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Craziest thing I ever heard of was that the bolt patterns on early BMW bikes match the early VW bug engines. Swap em right over, and suddenly you have a monster bike with 1200 CC engine. I always wanted to try that....

I want a Typ II, double cab (Van as pickup). Maybe with the optional aux heater. (VW's one general weak spot.)

tschus

pyotr filipivich

And the rear seat back was readily removable Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That only worked for the first year without replacing the expensive thermostat unit, at least on the 1963 version, apparently the latter ones were better. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Let the Record show that Gerald Miller on or about Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:55:30 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The one I saw was in a surplus Dutch Police van. It was apparently used as a portable office, (1968-72.) and so had the gasoline fired heater so the ink (and fingers) wouldn't freeze. This was back in 1976, when we all knew that the ice ages were just around the corner.

pyotr filipivich

I had the first year of issue ('63) in Canada. Mother had a latter one (probably '68-'70, she quit driving in'76 and gave the car to Grand daughter) that performed somewhat better. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller