Radiant gas elements (again)

Further to my recent post about radiant elements for a spread-of-flame testing machine (LIFT test to ASTM 1321). While doing some shopping recently, I saw a pile of those portable LPG gas heaters on sale, and they are the right heat output (4.2kW for a 200mm panel) which gives me an indication of the required size, etc. We already have a box of the ceramic panels in the lab, so still need to make the rest of it. However, I was getting very funny looks from the staff as I was peering in to see the details of the burner assembly, and they wouldn't let me pull one apart to measure up :-). This is the sort of thing I am referring to:

Since I don't have one of these heaters, and as a poor student, have to make do with huddling over a candle, has anyone got one? I was wondering if they premix the air or whether gas is injected into the manifold box behind the ceramic panels without air and it mixes once it goes through the panel (unlikely). Any idea on what the jet size is? Ta Geoff (New Zealand)

Reply to
geoff merryweather