Re: Freon bottles air pressure ???

On Sunday, January 24, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, James Hubbard wrote:

I have a 50 lb R-22 tank that I've been using as my portable air tank for OVER 30 YEARS!! It's always been kept in the house which may have helped. I suppose though, I should go looking for a fresh one. T'care, Mike
On Tue, 19 May 2020 05:06:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At 30C R22 is about 160psi Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap "air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - - - )

How would a 20 lb propane cylinder compare? It's getting hard to have them requalified in my area....
Thanks for reading,
bob prohaska
On Sun, 24 May 2020 03:06:57 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska

Definitely a lot more sturdy than the freon tank. I'm using one. I unscrew the valve and use pipe thread fittings.When I pull the valve I clean it out with hot water and amonia to get rid of the mercapitan stink.

That's a deodorizing trick I didn't know about. Thank you!
bob prohaska
On Mon, 25 May 2020 00:38:47 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska

I have been using a 30 lb tank mounted upside down to get the fitting on the bottom. A 3/4" nipple and Tee fitting with the drain and infeed check valve to the side branch while the outlet is a pipefitted through the bottom and up into the centre area fo the tank. safety valve and controls aer on the output. In this way I avoided the need for additional bosses to be welded to the tank. I also have a similar settup with regulator/filter on the input when I want lower, regulated pressure. I don't know how I ever got along before I blew a whole three bucks on an old Gardner/Denver single cylinder @ cfm compressor! Of course it cost another dollar for a 1/2HP motor to run it and about $70.00 for controls and safety valve etc.

I don't understand this centralized delivery pipe. Seems to me you'd want to draw all output from the bottom, to drain off condensate. Am I missing something?

How long ago?
8-)
Thanks for writing! ps, turns out my tanks don't expire for another year. Time to plan....
On Mon, 25 May 2020 04:32:46 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska

Gotta be around 15 years ago now!
On 5/24/2020 8:38 PM, bob prohaska wrote:

I use bleach to deodorize - works very well. That mercaptan smell is VERY persistent.