Re: How to make iron filings?

Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

snipped-for-privacy@pccsk12.com on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    That's not how you make them
    That is one way to collect iron filing.
    To make them, take a block of cheap iron/steel, and a file. Or a grinder. Or a sander. Or just rub the metal on the concrete.
--
pyotr filipivich
on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST)

Or rub your magic credit card and make a wish to the Amazon genie.

    That works too. But where is the sense of craftsmanship, of having accomplished something? Yeah, sure you have to wait two whole days for it to arrive, but. Meh, kids these days ....
tschus pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST)

I sincerely hope my efforts produce more than chips. You don't feed animals just for the manure.
Besides, it does seem sorta magical that I can click on a picture and the real thing appears at my door.

    True. Unless you're in the cow pie business. (I recall a short story where alien tourists took a shine to cow pies, and they became Big Business. Right up until the tourist fashions changed, and the ones who bought cow pies, no longer came.)

    Yep.
    Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon / Walmart."
--
pyotr filipivich
on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST)

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.
My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer interconnect cable.

    Exactly (as in I understand and agree). My house needs some repairs. And while I'm at it, might as well do X, Y, Z, A, B, C ...X1, Y1, Z1 too. Many of which are way out of my ability. Add to that, the only way I can afford to do all that, is to win the lottery, at which point "it would be simpler to take the screen door off and put it on a new house." Overhauling this place doesn't pencil out - for me. If I was thirty years younger, it might. In the mean time ... lets do what we can with what we have.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich

Here'a a doc at the American Chemical Society:
https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/education/outreach/iron-for-breakfast.pdf
I haven't bought any breakast cereal for 40 years but I suppose I'm going to have to buy some Wheaties (my favorite, tied with Cheerios, 65 years ago) and try that.
There's a tradition dating back to colonial times that women could maintain health by putting (what was then a wrought iron) nail in a glass of water each night, drinking the water in the morning.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-too-much-iron-is-harmful