Re Metalcutting tool info sought

Hi Ed, thanks for your resonse.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your inquiry? That may have an > influence on what information you can get.

I'm looking into improvements in cutting tool design and technology (an area I know nothing about!) for some university related work, and one of the aspects I also want to touch on is some rudimentary market analysis, the info I'm seeking would therefore tend to touch on both the technology itself and the market.

Thanks,

Callum

Reply to
Callum Finlayson

University-type research should get you into a few doors. Here's a thought: The most respected academic authority on cutting tools is Dr. Eugene Merchant, who is still alive, I think, and who presides to some degree over the manufacturing engineering department at Tempe (is that a U of AZ campus? I don't know. It's in Tempe, AZ, anyway). If you got in touch with someone in that department and told them what you're after, I'll bet they could help you with some industry contacts who would tell you anything you want to know. Gene is treated with great respect, and anyone he's connected with, even third-hand, has a leg up.

I'd Google around and find out where he is, and contact some prof in that department, which undoubtedly has inherited some of Gene's imprimatur in the business.

I had some contacts of my own but they're all retired or dead. Sorry I can't get you in any doors myself.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress