Reamer Usage

How much material (depth of cut) should you plan to remove with a .125" reamer in brass for a precise bore? (diameter, obviously the direction and position will be dictated by the accuracy of the original drilled hole)

How fast would you turn it, or in a lathe the work piece?

What lubricant / coolant would you use?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'd use a #31 drill, or about 5 thou under. If in a lathe go real slow in back gear, like 50 RPM. I'd use a spritz of WD40. Not sure I have the corner on knowledge, just what I'd do.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I didn't start using reamers at a young enough age to know by direct knowledge; I've been told "reamers like to cut", and I've always given them plenty of meat (5 to 15 thou) to go through -- and I've almost always had good success. About the only problems I've had have been traceable to poor work holding leading to bell-mouthing.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

None. cut it dry. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

4584 RPM Feed = 0.0015 per rev. or 6.87 IPM

drill with #31 drill 0.1200"

cut dry, maybe air blast to clear chips out.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

You are unlikely to be able to turn it too fast.

.005 - .010 on the diameter, more if bellmouth is a problem

A bit of varsol is a good lubricant

Feed the reamer as fast as it will cut.

You really SHOULD float the reamer.....

Reply to