Reaming problem

I am using some black iron pipe for a project and I need to ream out the seam on the inside of the pipe. I was thinking of using my hand drill and a 1" hander reamer. Will this be a hugh problem? If not I have some concerns. If I start with the reamer in the pipe and pull it out will the reamer bind in the pipe and break my arm? If I start out side the pipe will the drill buck and poke out my eye?

Any help would be appreacited - I don't have any machinist tools or skills. I only need to ream out the ends (about 6 inches) on about 8 pipes.

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Spiral reamer, or...video camera!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I have real doubts about your approach. I have chucked black pipe in a lathe and bored out the weld flash but it's never pretty, the steel never machines very well, and it takes a long time.

I suspect you will break the reamer, or wreck it, or hurt yourself.

Why don't you tell us what you are doing one step higher in your design? For example, "I'm trying to add some tables to the side of my home-built grill/smoker. I want to do it by sliding 1" tube inside the 1" pipe stand, but there is a weld seam on the 1" pipe. Is there a better way, or a way to remove the flash from the pipe?"

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I am using 3/4 inch pipethat I am slipping into 1 inch pipe. The 3/4 pipe are used as pins in a "top" of a cart I am building. They are welded to the frame. Some of the pipe does not have large seams and it works just as I wanted it too, but other pipe has larger seams. I tried a break cylinder hone, but there is too much metal for the hone to work well. o the seam I want to remove is the inside ridge so the

3/4 iinch pipe fits into the 1 inch pipe with more ease.

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

I was afriad that everyone's advice would be that I would end up hurt myself - hence the concerns I listed. Any other less dangerous ideas (even is they are more work) would be great.

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Video camera?????

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

find some one with a lathe who can chuck the pipe and either machine or ream out the weld flash

Reply to
WILLIAM HENRY

If you try that with a straight reamer under power, we'll ALL want to see the video. Have somebody turn off the camera after the ambulance comes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

SPIRAL REAMER!!!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Got it - I don't have a video camera but I do have a web cam - so if I went this way you could all see it live - maybe a new reality show - "Metal Mania" - I could be a star!! (with a broken arm and a poked out eye).

It doesn't look like that's the route I will take. The hone might work

- I will try it some more. I don't know anyone with a lathe - in fact I have never seen one run - I've only seen them in a store. Now there's a scary thought - buy a lathe and try it out - Think that's better???

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

If you only have to go in a few inches and don't have too many to do, try a coarse half round file (in and out).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hey Greg,

Still unclear as to "why" you need to do this, but...... would it work if instead of removing the seam inside, you were to just grind a flat or a very shallow "V" groove on the 3/4" pieces so they are relieved at the seam position? Would keep the pipes from rotating too, if it matters.

Good Luck.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

So would you think an angle grinder would work? Or something like a dremel tool?

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

So would you think an angle grinder would work? Or something like a dremel tool?

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

So would you think an angle grinder would work? Or something like a dremel tool?

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

The 1 inch pipe basically forms the legs and the top rests on top with the 3/4 inch pipe working as pins to hold the top on. It's so I can take it a part without screws or bolts.

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Greg, A lot of us learned about lathes by getting one and trying it out! Some of us read the instructions first, some later. Some even got a book about machining and read it first. In all cases, even those with training, had to get their hands dirty and take a chance and hope they didn't kill themselves or the equipment.

Maybe this is your time to get a lathe and make some swarf!

I have used the file method several times to get the weld bead off the inside. That is about the only workable way to get rid of several inches of it.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

So a spiral reamer would be safe enough and I could use it in my drill? Can you find a 1 inch spiral reamer fairly easy? I have seen spiral pipe reamers for flaring the end of pipe but I don't hink I've seen one that I sould use to run in a pipe. Can't say I ever looked for one though.

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Thanks Paul - I love reading the posts here and I am sure more interested in this subject than I was before. I wish there was a machinist in the neigborhood I could learn some for before diving in. If I keep moving in this direction I may just do that and look into buying a lathe and killing myself, wouldn't be the first time. I went into healthcare but I think I would have liked working a trade better. Of course here in AZ it's too damn hot to work somewhere without air conditioning and there aren't many trades with cushy indoor offices. LOL.

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

An angle grinder would be perfect to remove some of the outside of the pipe you are using for a pin. A dremel would work in a few weeks :) A hammer would work too. Just beat a scrap piece of the 3/4" pipe into the

1" and twist it out with a pipe wrench or beat on the 1" to loosen the 3/4". A 1" bridge reamer turned by hand would do it really quick too.
Reply to
Glenn