Rear view mirror

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

There is a wick and lock product but you better like where you put it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My standard trick to increase friction is to peen it with a center punch. You want to get a couple peened areas under the socket.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:25:33 -0700, the infamous "Leo Lichtman" scrawled the following:

I tightened a loose joint for a truck visor by removing it and tensioning the spring more from the back with shims. See if you can get to the spring on that mirror or "persuade" the sheetmetal cover over the back to do that for you mit der punch unt hammah.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
JR North

RTV silicone

Reply to
clare

Thanks, guys. Several good ideas here. Now I have to decide in what order to try them. Easy and likely to succeed go to the top of the list. Difficult or likely to interfere with others I might want to try go to the bottom. I think I'll try to find Wick and Lock, as suggested by Wes, since these are convex mirrors, so exact position is not too critical.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Gritblast the ball.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Pirateer guy

"Pirateer guy" wrote: (clip) I have to believe a truck mirror for a semi is cheaper than anything

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter would look right ;-).

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. Of course, a good set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. Of course, a good

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ But still less than a squeeze bottle of Lok-tite?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Don't forget horns to match.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

From what he's posted here, I doubt he needs horns. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I didn't know they made reflective Loctite.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell