Tip grip liquid to increase joint friction

Hi folks,

I have an old darkroom lamp from the 1960s. It originally had a red bulb to protect the black-and-white film. I like the style, so I'm converting it into a desk lamp.

It has a pair of ball-and-socket joints in the arm (ball is about 1/2" diameter, and the power cable passes through the centre). The joint is held stiff by an internal compression spring, but this isn't quite providing enough friction.

I had wondered about fitting a stiffer spring, or trying to stretch the spring a little, but I'm not sure how easy or wise this is.

I'm now thinking of squirting some tip grip liquid for screwdriver bits into the joints instead. Something like this:

Does anyone know what's in this liquid? Is it carborundum, or something like that, which might cause serious joint wear?

The joints are made from hard brass.

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Vibra-Tite is probably valve grinding paste. It will chew the brass surfaces up in short order.

To increase friction between brass surfaces, a dry leather works washer well. Form the washer into a rough hemisphere while wet, let dry.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Googling "Vibra-TITE 470 DriveGrip sds" gives the SDS as the first hit (I got lucky, sometimes they are buried), and that says that the dangerous components include silicon carbide 20-29%, thickening agent (combustible dust) 5-9%, and something called intermediate copolymer 1-4% (probably another thickener), so yes, it's an abrasive that will grind away your brass. How fast? No idea - this is Usenet, what do you want, a complete authoritative answer :-) :-)? Wonder how long a layer of clear acrylic spray paint would last on the ball, given how infrequently I'm assuming you will be adjusting it?

Reply to
Carl

[...]

I'd try paper in the joint first.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Vibratite maybe... never used it, but some airgun guys use them on adjustable metering set screws.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have not used this brand but I have used this type of "screw Grip" before and it is a gritty compound... If you are concerned about the finish do not use it. It does work well on moderatly stripd phillips screw heads.

soundguy.paul

Reply to
soundguy.paul

Basically it is just valve lapping compound - fine - repackaged. Would quickly damage the brass ball/socket joint

Reply to
Clare Snyder