Locking small Nylon nuts

I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws and nuts. If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do them up tight?
--
John G Sydney.

Steel-loc, anyone???
John G wrote:

"Nylon hex locknuts" self locking type on McMaster.com $12/100
On 11/28/2014 10:10 AM, John G wrote:> I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws > and nuts. > If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts. > So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do > them up tight?
Vibratite might work for you. Fairly thick liquid that you brush onto the threads. It takes a bit for it to dry and set up properly. Can sometimes be had from a motorcycle shop, and MSC carries it. Would want to use it sparingly on that small a screw.
Jon
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:39:25 +1100

Nice lead Jon, but Vibra-Tite is a company and carries a whole product line of thread lockers:
http://www.vibra-tite.com/product-category/threadlockers/
Which product were you thinking of for this application? I'm not the original poster but would like to have something like that around to use now and then. Was it one of the VC- models towards the bottom of that page maybe?
Off the top of my head, one use I would try it on would be the little screws on my glasses frames (metal frames and screws).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 11/28/2014 11:43 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Hmm, didn't know they had such an extensive line. I bought whatever one MSC carries. Gotta head off to work in a few minutes, no time to look it up on MSC, but it was either VC3, 4, or 5. Came in the glass bottle with brush. Have a bottle, in storage, 7700 miles away, be a while before I can check it... ;)
It's good stuff, especially for fasteners one doesn't want to move, but might need adjustment now and then.
Jon
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 06:47:37 +1100

I understand, no problem. I'll keep my eye open for VC-3 when I'm out and about. Pretty sure it must be one in the VC line. I liked the look of those washers too:
http://www.vibra-tite.com/products/microbond-washers/
Couldn't find a source for those (curious how much they cost) but I don't really need them at this time either...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 11/29/2014 7:02 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Hmm, those look pretty cool. Browsed the site, they have a lot of good products.
Jon
Jon Anderson wrote:

"Nylon hex locknuts" self locking type on McMaster.com $12/100
e.g. http://www.mcmaster.com/#94909a009 as an example in 8-32 size. All nylon, exactly what the OP asked for. If McMaster doesn't have it, it probably doesn't exist...
On 11/27/2014 6:10 PM, John G wrote:

Jam nut. On hand, easily reversible.
On Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:10:19 PM UTC-8, John G wrote:

I've done (on a one-off basis) a quick slash with a knife blade across the threads; it adds significantly to the friction, but allows disassembly without further damage.
John G used his keyboard to write :

Thanks to you all. I had some ideas myself but wondered what was common now.
I can remember before Nyloc nuts when they were FIBRE lock nuts Thanks again. l-)
--
John G Sydney.