Welding stainless to chromed steel

I have a snowblower with a chromed steel rod connecting to a U joint. It is used to direct where the snow goes.

Unfortunately, the set screw in the u joint does not hold well, even after I drilled the rod a little to help the screw hold. Looks like vibration and non-axial movements inherent in u joint application unset it every time.

The question is, can I weld the stainless u joint to the chromed steel of the rod. The rod, I think, used to be a socket extension many years ago.

Also, when welding on a 10+ year old snowblower, should I worry about EMP destroying some electrical components. There may be gasoline in tank and, while I will not be welding the tank or the engine, I would like to know if Ishould take any safety steps.

Ignoramus15297

How about some thread locker (Locktite) on the set screw, or drilling straight through for a cotter pin? Both would appear to be a lot better options than welding. As for welding on a snow blower, I don't think there is a snowball's chance of damaging any electrical components unless you connect the welder directly across them.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Ignoramus15297" wrote: (clip) Unfortunately, the set screw in the u joint does not hold well, even after I drilled the rod a little to help the screw hold. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If the threaded hole in the U-joint hub is deep enough, you might try stacking two set screws. Tighten the first one securely into the dimple you drilled, and then run a second one in behind the first, and tighten it A LOT. they will lock each other like jam nuts.

If you do end up welding, I am not the best qualified to answer, but I will anyway. Use stainless rod. The chrome on the steel will either burn off or alloy with the weld bead, which will already contain chromium from the rod and the U-joint.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I will check the drilling issue. I agree on the cotter pin suggestion.

Ignoramus15297

It's not going to make a lot of difference what you use. A mild steel rod will burn right though the VERY thin layer of chrome plating. Of course the mild steel will not have the corrosion resistance of the stainless but neither will the base metal on the chromed part.

My snowblower uses a big fat cotter key for this applicati> I have a snowblower with a chromed steel rod connecting to a U

Reply to
RoyJ

So, will 7018 work? I do not care about appearance, only that it does not fall apart. Also, are there any gasoline safety issues.

Ignoramus15297

Interferance should not be a problem but anytime someone says that ...BAM.. you blow something out.

Same song second verse: I'd just weld on it with the gas in the tank (presuiming the tank is not right next to the weld area) but you may have leaks, fumes, spatter, etc that makes that a BAD thing. Of course I'd probably bring it out in the driveway before I started.

Net: If it comes off easy, remove it and weld it seperate from the mach> >

Reply to
RoyJ

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) hook the ground clamp to the rod to avoid running weld current through any other components. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Including bearings. Or should I have said *excluding* bearings. Don't run welding current through any bearings.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

One set screw normally will not do the job. Add another 90 degrees from the first. Jim.

Reply to
Jim L.