TIG-pink cup wrecked?

Hi group. I am trying to learn to TIG weld. After making a bunch of practice beads on flat 1/8th inch steel, And maybe lighting an arc without the gas turned on once(oops), I have a lot of yellowish crud caked/baked on the inside of my pink cup (cup sized for 3/32 inch tungsten). I have scraped out what i can, but will what remains contaminate my welds?

If wrecked, is it unreasonable to only get a 80cf tank of argon through the tip before replacement?

I plan on replacing it anyway, but would like to know for my own information.

Thanks, Andy Hall Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy

for what you're doing it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a sand blaster, it will clean the cup.

Richard

Reply to
AMW

So will a wire brush for your grill. Use the one that's like 3/4" in diameter and twist and push-pull away. I use it like a charm.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

Shrug..I use a .45 bore brush. Stainless steel one.

Gunner

Gunner

Still looking for a 100 cal bore brush myself. Just a 18" total length needed... :-)

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Good idea- Now I can clean the other size cups too.. Thanks for the idea. I have a spare pistol rod and I just picked up a bunch of bronze brushes.... Thanks Guns.. I got a .50 brush and an adapter for my mig nozzles too. All of it fits nicely in a plastic box.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

thanks for the replies. I will keep my eyes open for a cylindrical wire brush.

Andy, Lynn MA

Reply to
andy

Go to the nearest gun shop. They have plenty.

Gunner

Gunner Asch