need some assistance

I have a part from a 1989 Yamaha Sno Scoot that is no longer available. The kick pinion gear..
http://216.37.204.202/yamaha_oem/YamahaSnow.asp?Type &A&B=2
part number 9..has teeth on the side facing away from you in that diagram. These teeth get pushed into matching teeth on a pulley attached to the crank to start the machine. The teeth get galled up and then slip on the crank pulley and you can't kick the machine over. Anyone on here think they can repar the teeth? I'm thinking tig them back to normal size and grind them square.
I can take detailed, macro pics if needed to determine if you might be able to tackle this. I bought these little machines for my daughters as a Christmas present for this year, but was unaware of this common failure.
Thanks in advance...
If the teeth on the crank side are good then I would consider a build up of phospherbronze or brass and file square. Or you may be able to just square up the faces as they are, unless the tops are worn off. I didn't find a 1989 model on the link 1990 was as far back as it went. Building it up with TIG is also possible but if you munge the groove for the keyhole spring it is toast. Be sure to press the brass bushing out before you start heating things up.
Depending on tooth shape you could also file out the tooth and add a piece of steel with silfloss to build up the profile.
The tricky part will be not destroying the temper on the rest of the part.

So maybe just brazing some brass onto the tips would work??

I have done it that way with fair success. My reasoning was that if the part on the crank wears out that would be much harder to fix/repair so I would rather do the brass thing several times. It won't wear as well as the steel original but it will work for awhile. I think the silfloss is harder/tougher than brass .. more of a bronze but brass will get it going for awhile. Glenn