Need some assistance with plasma torch

After visiting one of the sci.engr.joining.welding posters today (thanks Rob!) I have a much clearer idea of what is plasma cutting. For example, I realized that a jet of plasma should be coming out of the head even at a distance from the "work" (from the pilot arc).

Now, I have a question regarding my mystery plasma torch.

Here it is:

Wayne once said (using a much worse picture) that ``Looks a lot like the Zap Plasmatherm copy of the old Hypertherm 100 amp torch that I got for my old Linde PCM-100 plasma cutter. It didn't work on that machine is the only thing I can say about it.''

In any case, my main question centers around two compression fittings. One is electrically connected to the tip, another to the nozzle.

Can I use this torch by supplying compressed air to BOTH of these fittings (I realize that one is connected to the tip and another to the nozzle, to make a pilot arc, so proper electrical isolation etc will be necessary).

Or is this torch supposed to be used with two different gases?

All I want for now is to make a small pilot arc, that would be a good first step.

thanks

Ignoramus21261

Which, I am now certain, is true.

I see.

I think that it cannot actually flow through the second line. I will check more tonight. Thank you Wayne.

Ignoramus15962

As long as the torch uses a hafnium electrode air if fine in both (if tungsten then you've got another problem). These torches where designed as a conversion for the old plasma rigs to convert from a two gas setup to air.

Not if it's like I think it is. In fact you might want to double check that air can even flow on the nozzle line when all the tip and shields are on the gun. I know that the one I had didn't have anyway for the air to flow through the shield when it was in place though the passage did come of the gun itself.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

One thing to try for fun and us - is a good rod of Zirconium (Tig IIRC) as a source. It is tough, and has a high source of electrons - Hf is far better - another shell larger - and further from 'home'. But perhaps it can be a low cost and somewhat low current source for special projects or small stuff.

I know that Hypertherm uses Hf in my Plasma.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus15962 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn