recommendations for MillDrill?

I am looking for a light duty desktop MillDrill. I'll be milling plastic mostly. Any recommendations?

Is there any way to modify a drill so it can take sideway load better?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex,

For plastic I like what I got. Harbor Freight micromill/drill # 47158. I paid about 200 for it after tax after talking to the store manager about matching sale RATE on another item (which turned out to be clearance).

Downside is the MT-2 spindle, virtually nonexistent instructions, and T/S has seemingly only one person who knows a lot about micros, but the upside is for plastic you should be able to use a milling cutter directly in the chuck without a holder. On mine, the spindle/chuck has very little runout, the x/y table is an accurate .05/turn with very little backlash (.0035 or so).

There is a z axis vernier, but it seems to be mostly worthless (I'm waiting on parts to see if it can be "fixed").

I just wish I knew more about adjusting and lubing the drive chain and friction points...

Good Luck!

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Stephen Kurzban

The Clisby Vertical Milling Machine is a little, relatively-inexpensive, honey!

See

which has links to various sellers.

Jeff Law

Reply to
Jeff Law

AL

If you're going to get a mill/drill one of the better ones is probably a Myford. Great tools, lousy web site. I don't think they have gotten the concept yet.

Abrasha